M14 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I’m going to shoot more of this load when I get a chance. 41gr varget 2.800col with the same 168gr Amax. It’s going to take some time before I get back to the range due to the SA extractor breaking shortly after these were fired. 😫 I guess some things are never easy. I know this is the reloading forum but I’ve seen many people recommend the USGI extractor is that the consensus or does someone have one they like better? Thanks as always,
Matt

Attachments

·
Banned
68 Posts
For 600 yard service rifle shooting, 23.5 grains of Varget or Reloader-15 behind an 80 grain bullet will be accurate enough to win Highpower matches in almost any rifle you shoot it in. You might find a sweet spot a little higher or lower than that, but it will be right in that neighborhood. The Berger VLD's tend to be pretty depth-sensitive, and I personally would not bother with them for this type of shooting, though some do. The 80 SMK and 80 A-Max are both proven winners for this, and can be had a bit cheaper than the VLD, and will most likely be easier to tune. This wheel was invented a long time ago, no sense wasting a lot of time trying to make it better. If I had to shoot 600 yards with a service rifle tomorrow with no load data, I'd just dump 23.5 of Varget under a 80 SMK, jump them .020" and go shoot. I'd do just fine, too.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
I’m going to shoot more of this load when I get a chance. 41gr varget 2.800col with the same 168gr Amax. It’s going to take some time before I get back to the range due to the SA extractor breaking shortly after these were fired. 😫 I guess some things are never easy. I know this is the reloading forum but I’ve seen many people recommend the USGI extractor is that the consensus or does someone have one they like better? Thanks as always,
Matt
I would never shoot varget out of my M1A. But thats just me.

Reactions: charlie98

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm still shooting 155SMK (old palma bullet) and settled on RL15. Recently finished up a batch of LC LR which I had to download a couple of grains to keep from occasional failures to extract. They warm...shooting in M1 Obermyer barrel which may have tighter specs? Something to consider when setting up match rifles if you intend to also shoot military ammo. Side note: shot first 600 prone match couple weeks back, first time this year due to covid, they still in the black though the 'clean' at 600 is getting further out of reach with each birthday.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts