M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m brand new to this forum, but I’ve been reloading for years and reading some of your posts on your most accurate loads for many weeks. My rifle is a Loaded I know it’s not supposed to shoot MOA or better but I believe based on prior load testing I can cut my 5 shot groups down to MOA at 100yds. These 2 groups are shot with 168 hornady Amax with 40.5 and 41.5 RL15 CCI 200 LC 63 weight matched brass. Suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you to the moderator who helped me out and moved this post to the correct page, sorry about that!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
If I had to choose between the two, I’d go with the first group. Vertical stringing in the second group indicates the rifles having trouble with the powder charge. I.E. the internal ballistics/harmonics in the barrel need a different charge. Horizontal is usually OverAllLength(OAL) or COAL. Higher? Lower? Whatever,...horizontal is better than vertical. Art suggested 41.5 and ladder up. That’s a great suggestion. See if an increase in charge will level out the vertical stringing. You may, with the increasing charge, see the horizontal tighten up as well.
Once you get the velocity your rifle likes and the vertical calms down you might start messing around with OAL to get the horizontal to tighten up If it doesn’t on its own as stated above with the increases in charges. Hope that makes sense.
BUT, a good base line for OAL is Magazine length or The good old stand by of 2.8200”. I wouldn’t start messing around with OAL until your really comfy with your reloading practices.
If ya just can’t get what you want out of the rifle,....try a new bullet. Great things can happen with just that simple bullet change.
Pay attn. to ejector swipes which is an indicator of high Pressure. Flat primers might not always be a reliable indicator of high pressure due to variations in primer cup hardness.

Happy reloading. Cheers.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I, and many others, have had outstanding results with 168 grain A-MAXes, so I expect them to work well for you, if your rifle is capable.

RL15 isn't what could be considered a standard powder for the 308 Winchester (or M14 clone), so why was it chosen over 4895, Varget, or 4064? I'm not saying it won't work, but there doesn't seem to be much firsthand experience with it here.

Are the groups you've shown 2.5+ MOA? What prior load testing are you referring to?

·
Premium Member
15,435 Posts
I, and many others, have had outstanding results with 168 grain A-MAXes, so I expect them to work well for you, if your rifle is capable.

RL15 isn't what could be considered a standard powder for the 308 Winchester (or M14 clone), so why was it chosen over 4895, Varget, or 4064? I'm not saying it won't work, but there doesn't seem to be much firsthand experience with it here.

Are the groups you've shown 2.5+ MOA? What prior load testing are you referring to?
RL15 was one of the powders, I believe, used for the M118 LR cartridges. There is plenty of information available for it. May not be as accurate as some of the 8208 loads for other accuracy cartridges, but right up there.

·
Registered
479 Posts
RL15 was one of the powders, I believe, used for the M118 LR cartridges. There is plenty of information available for it. May not be as accurate as some of the 8208 loads for other accuracy cartridges, but right up there.
Plenty of info for it posted from M14 Forum members? I certainly haven't seen it.

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
RL 15 is used in the M118LR. They run it hot, though. It was 44 grains when it was only used in bolt rifles, then they backed it down to 43 for use in the M14.

Loads of 41-42 are pretty anemic. They are going to have more drop when you stretch out the range.

Pick up a box of Federal Gold Medal Match to get a base line for your rifle's accuracy potential. If you can find the one labeled GM762M2, it is the same as their Mk 316 Mod 0 load.

i1DSXBVl.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,435 Posts
Plenty of info for it posted from M14 Forum members? I certainly haven't seen it.

Not necessarily on the M14 forum. I was referring to some of the loading manuals available. Sierra's latest seems to be one of the more often quoted.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
My best accuracy was with berger bullets. just a hair better than 168 MK.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
RL 15 is used in the M118LR. They run it hot, though. It was 44 grains when it was only used in bolt rifles, then they backed it down to 43 for use in the M14.

Loads of 41-42 are pretty anemic. They are going to have more drop when you stretch out the range.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with Kurt about trying more RL15 powder - unless you are getting 'pressure signs' with the tested loads. The heavier loads are likely to burn more consistently, and that's good for accuracy. The higher MV might be a very slight advantage because of less wind drift, but that's not likely to be noticeable.

Jay

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for your help! It’s much appreciated. I’m going to try some different charge weights and shoot 10 instead of 5 and what I can get. Thanks again.
Matt

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
I really don't see any significant differences between those groups. You need to shoot 10-20 round groups. And several times. BTW all my one round groups are under 1 MOA.
20 round group under an inch at 100 yards with iron sights?
Thats hard to believe unless your name is bambam...

·
Registered
5,204 Posts

Pick up a box of Federal Gold Medal Match to get a base line for your rifle's accuracy potential. If you can find the one labeled GM762M2, it is the same as their Mk 316 Mod 0 load.

View attachment 431350
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
ONE round groups under 1MOA. Using BamBan's space gun upper my best 20 shot group was in a High Power Match reduced to 300 yards. In the last stage (prone slow-fire) every shot I didn't flinch or jerk went in the X ring. 200-17X. But that was in the last Century.

I did shoot a 100-10X in one string of prone rapid-fire reduced to 200 yards with a Service Rifle. December 2008.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
ONE round groups under 1MOA. Using BamBan's space gun upper my best 20 shot group was in a High Power Match reduced to 300 yards. In the last stage (prone slow-fire) every shot I didn't flinch or jerk went in the X ring. 200-17X. But that was in the last Century.

I did shoot a 100-10X in one string of prone rapid-fire reduced to 200 yards with a Service Rifle. December 2008.
One round group under 1 MOA. Isnt everyones 1 round group under 1 MOA?

Were you shooting the mouse gun in those Hi power strings or the M1A?
If its the M1A that is good shooting.

Reactions: Louis1332

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Thank you everyone for your help! It’s much appreciated. I’m going to try some different charge weights and shoot 10 instead of 5 and what I can get. Thanks again.
Matt
I would not shoot RL15 it a M14. Its to slow. Stick with 4064.

Reactions: charlie98

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Hornady service rifle says 42 gr max 2500 fps. I've gotten there without flattened primers or extractor marks
Accuracy was excellent I have had good luck with rl15 and accuracy it's more available than 4895 or 4064

1 - 20 of 28 Posts