M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put together a 5.45X39 upper. take advantage of the cheap ammo and a test bed for the 5.45X39 reloading project.. I like the AR's simple.. so I just put a Lo pro gas block and Hoge free float tube.. We'll see how she runs.. B2B

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
If you surplus it is corrosive ammo so you need to clean the rifle for that. The commercial (Wolf) ammo is not supposed to be corrosive so it should be like any US made ammo.

You may need an extra power hammer spring to ignite the primers in the surplus ammo.

The rifle/ammo can be very accurate. I really like mine and wish I had the time to shoot it more often.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm waiting on my firing pin for my bolt. When I got the bolt and pin from model 1 sales, the tip of the firing pin was bent or mis-machined so it was sticking in the bolt face, really not a good thing to have happen on an AR.. I'll get a extra power spring for the hammer, but I may not need it, I'll probably run my reloads through it mostly. If I shoot surplus ammo in it, I know how to clean corrosive salts out of a gun I've run a lot of 8mm and 762X54R ammo in my time..so the Soap and Hot Hot water.. is the answer.. B2B

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you get a chance, shoot some of the Soviet surplus through the rifle and let us know how accurate it is. I have an AK in that caliber and I am curious how well the surplus would shoot out of an AR.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
My S&W M&P15, with the 16" barrel, soviet surplus from the spam can and a SUIT will shoot groups at 300 yds. that are 4" wide and 6" tall. Thats 5 shot groups. I think the reason for the oval group (all of them are oval - taller than they are wide) is due to the SUIT and the way the pointer makes it tough to put the tip on the same spot on the target for every shot.

Still, I'll take 4"X6" groups at 300 yds.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a bunch of Russian Surplus so it will get tested in the upper.. I think he is talking about an optical sight,, with the inverted arrow or the finger of death retical.. The 223 magazine can be used but I think some people are using the C products magazine for the 545 if a GI Mags are used I believe they are short loading them.. B2B

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I tried using GI 30 round magazines. The first 10 or so loaded fine then it got "stiff" around 11 or 12. Then it got easy again up to about 24 or 25 ronds then got realy stiff so I stopped.

When firing they fed fine till I got back down to around 12 rounds then I'd get nose down in the magazine miss feeds to clear. Then the last 10 rounds or so would feed/chamber fine.

I bought the C Products 5.45X39 magazines (stainless steel) and they worked fine - no issues with any of them so far. The body of the cartridge is angled differently than the 5.56X45 so the shape of the magazine is different (I've read the follower is different, too, but can't say I've done a side by side comparison).

I like my SUITs. Liked the first one well enough I bought a second one for another AR15.

Here's what they look like.

http://suitsight.com/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts