M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Havent shot this one for a couple of months, been playing with several other platforms of late. This was mostly a primer test as I am trying the CCI#34 which I snagged 1K of a while back. Load was 168 Nosler Comp ahead of IMR 4064 starting at 40.5 up to 42.5 which I find is usually a top load.
Today the 40.5 load turned in the best group with 4 under an inch and 42.5 at just over an inch. All were good but first and last were best. This is an old school setup though, all GI parts, barrel too, the rifle I got from a member here some time back. I restocked it with a Win GI stock and it does very well with it, not even bedded. Scope is an 80's vintage Redfield called the Classic, a 3-9x40 matte finished. A really good scope really that suits the rifle and me well. All shooting benched at 100 yards.
It has become my favorite M14 rifle of the 5 I have.
No target pics, range was crowded today with all manner of newbs trying out their new AR's. I got out of there with only having to admonish one shooter for unsafe gun handling. No I am not the RM, but I believe its up to all of us to keep an eye out for each other on the range and invariably there will be one guy who just doesnt get it. Older gent like most of us, opened his rifle case with the muzzle pointing at his neighor instead of down range!
I have had this happen to me numerous times and it really irks me. Anyway he took it well and we went about our business.
Here is pic of the rifle for those who havent seen it before.
IMG_5633.JPG

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is is as I shoot it. It didnt leave SA that way, I dont know how many parts were changed out by the PO, but I swapped out the TG from another GI, forget which and then found the Win stock on GB. Dont even know if the Win barrel came as issued. Doesnt matter to me though, always wanted an all Win rifle and this is as close as I am likely to get.
Its a dang fine shooter. Its in the 55K SN range.
IMG_1986.JPG

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thats sweet! She looks great. I want an all Winny as well. Oerhaos soneday down the road. Been acquiring lots of parts here and there, but as you know....money, money, money.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Looks nice, thanks for the post. Sounds like you tested my pet load MIA of 42.5 of I-4064 w/ 168 Nosler or SMK BTHP.

Today the 40.5 load turned in the best group with 4 under an inch and 42.5 at just over an inch. All were good but first and last were best
...I once chrono'd the 42.5 grain load in my M24R (it has a 24" barrel). Avg velocity was 2658 fps: the extreme spread was only 2656 to 2662 fps(!), so that's an SD of 3 and an ES of only 6(!). It was only 5 shots, but it groups well for me, and it's the only load with CCI#34 primers that I have tested with such low SD/ES - usually its much higher... Anyhow, glad you found two loads that shot well, and I guess the 40.5 grain is the low velocity accuracy node.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Havent shot this one for a couple of months, been playing with several other platforms of late. This was mostly a primer test as I am trying the CCI#34 which I snagged 1K of a while back. Load was 168 Nosler Comp ahead of IMR 4064 starting at 40.5 up to 42.5 which I find is usually a top load.
Today the 40.5 load turned in the best group with 4 under an inch and 42.5 at just over an inch. All were good but first and last were best. This is an old school setup though, all GI parts, barrel too, the rifle I got from a member here some time back. I restocked it with a Win GI stock and it does very well with it, not even bedded. Scope is an 80's vintage Redfield called the Classic, a 3-9x40 matte finished. A really good scope really that suits the rifle and me well. All shooting benched at 100 yards.
It has become my favorite M14 rifle of the 5 I have.
No target pics, range was crowded today with all manner of newbs trying out their new AR's. I got out of there with only having to admonish one shooter for unsafe gun handling. No I am not the RM, but I believe its up to all of us to keep an eye out for each other on the range and invariably there will be one guy who just doesnt get it. Older gent like most of us, opened his rifle case with the muzzle pointing at his neighor instead of down range!
I have had this happen to me numerous times and it really irks me. Anyway he took it well and we went about our business.
Here is pic of the rifle for those who havent seen it before.
View attachment 449850
Excellent groups. I have spent a fortune on mine and 5 out of 5 inside a 3" shootnc at 200 yds is the best that I can get. Our range insists all weapons bolts are open before going to bench. I have learned to do that before putting them inside my vehicle!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Fine rifle, I can see why she's your favorite. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: WaM14gunner

·
Premium Member
17,517 Posts
Being a lifelong resident of CT, I have a soft spot for Winchesters. Loved it when we could order parts kits from CMP by mfg.

·
Registered
424 Posts
WaM14gunner said,
“. I restocked it with a Win GI stock and it does very well with it, not even bedded.”

Same as my Rockola, the local gunshop had a stock in the junk barrel they gave me for free. I cleaned it up with some Formbys and steel wool and the rifle shoots great with it. The old stocks have great karma.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here is is as I shoot it. It didnt leave SA that way, I dont know how many parts were changed out by the PO, but I swapped out the TG from another GI, forget which and then found the Win stock on GB. Dont even know if the Win barrel came as issued. Doesnt matter to me though, always wanted an all Win rifle and this is as close as I am likely to get.
Its a dang fine shooter. Its in the 55K SN range.
View attachment 449851
Nice rifle!!!!

I kind of did the same on my all original SA 5 line (in the 11,XXX range). I swapped out the stock with an ebay GI stock so the original wouldn't get dingged up.
Added a Fulton Armory mount (same style as the Brookfield) and, like you did, added the fake selector.

I do admit, my SA is not near the level of your Winchester, but it is what it is and was my Dad's rifle, since it was new. Was handed down when he passed. Will be my son's when I pass.

Someone mentioned they would be they would be afraid to shoot it, but shooting it is what it is for and surely is fun.

Just a real fun gun to shoot and gets a ton of looks at the range, especially when I have my '42 Springfield Garand and '43 Winchester M1 Carbine there too.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
TheShooter must have a fever as he is obviously delusional
“Thats rare to see an all matching parts on a five line. That's one i would be afraid to shoot”

whaaaat!!!???

·
Registered
All gun laws are unconstitutional
6,846 Posts
TheShooter must have a fever as he is obviously delusional
“Thats rare to see an all matching parts on a five line. That's one i would be afraid to shoot”

whaaaat!!!???
Wam14gunner has a rare M1A with a geneso stamped Winchester barrel and a matching Winchester bolt. Over the years I have never seen SAI take the time to match up the parts on the 5 line receivers. On the early 4 lines around 1994 was when it was common practice for them to match the parts. That is why I wouldn't shoot it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts