M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Retired
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a couple thousand LC 5.56 Nato cases from Midway. I have a large 8 pound can of Varget, and a thousand Sierra 69 gr. Match King bullets. I just bought a thousand CCI #41 military primers, and should be all set to start loading for my "black rifle".

Hodgden lists starting load at 24 grains, and max at 26 gr. What are your most accurate loads with the components I have?

·
Non-resident by request
169 Posts
Hi Sarge

I just loaded up a couple hundred LCs, R-Ps, MALs, and several other mixed commercial and arsenal brass today.

I'm using 22 grains of imr4064 with 69 gr. sierra hpbt.
Got a great big bag of .223/5.56 brass I been working on for a few weeks now, plus made a nice score on a couple thousand .224s plus a bunch of .308 bullets.
I got some Sierra 180 grain spitzer flat base .308s if you know anybody who wants some (3 boxes) bit heavy for the gassers.
Stocking up! thanks bob

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
24-25 grains of Varget under the 69 SMK used to be a real favorite amoung High Power shooters. For me, the 25 grain load proved to be very accurate in the 1:7 and 1:8 twist NM barrels. Shot some great 200 and 300 yard scores with them. I always used Winchester SR primers. This load also shot great in my dad's CZ bolt gun with 1:9 twist barrel.

Only quit using that load because I shifted to the 77g SMKs for better wind resistance at 300 yards. I think the 69 grain loads were a little more accurate though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
+1 KYShooter

I use 24-24.5gr Varget in LC/PPU brass w/CCI 41s and 69SMK.
I get outstanding results in a 1 in 7 White Oak upper. Load to a COAL per Hornady recommendations.
"T"

·
Super Moderator
11,140 Posts
My go to load with Varget is 24.5grs, 55's seated too the claniture the 77's at mag lenth Winchester Small Primer used. The 55's work sweet in a 1/9 tube and the 77's run thru a 1/8 tube.

I'm thinking of switching over too Wolf primers when I'm out of the Winnies.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've had good results with 25 GRNS of RL-15, it's very similar to Varget anyway, behind the 69 pill. Some claim that during the rapid sitting the 69 doesn't recoil as much as a 77. I guess I'm not sensitive enough to notice any difference. With 1K of the 69's, you are set. Try the 77's at 300 yds. They take a little more wind. They also work great at 100 yds for a reduced match if you like. A photo of my 300 rapid fire from a match a few weeks back. Good luck and good shooting!

Doug

·
Retired
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With 69gr bullets found that RL-15 gave the best group
in Colt 1/7 and RRA 1/9.
I've got a CMP Bushmaster match AR-15 from back when they sold them. I just haven't fired it much but plan to do so. I believe my rifle barrel is a 1/7 twist.

I do thank you all for the information. I'll be reloading 10 rounds each of the various powder charges and see how they shoot.

I won't be shooting my M14's any less, just more trigger time behind both rifles.

·
Retired
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I bought a Rock River NM AR-15 rifle and have only fired 20 rounds of USGI green tipped ammo to sight it in and get acquainted with my new toy. I hope to hit the reloading bench soon to get a good accurate handload, so I can load a bunch of that this winter. GI1

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I will throw another possible load on you. I use the LC case, CCI#41 primer, 69 gr SMK with 25.8 gr Win 748 - COL 2.26. This is more accurate than the LC green tip, burns cleaner than the LC green tip, and ejection is less violent. It will eat the center out of the target @ 100 yards. Using a Sig 556 with a 1 in 7 twist.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Old Sarge: From the CMP website at the time: The "stock" Bushmaster CMP Competition Rifle was sold with a 20" Button rifled 1 turn in 8" right hand twist; with six lands and grooves. The barrel is of Extra Heavy Competition design - 1" diameter under the hand guard.

·
Retired
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Old Sarge: From the CMP website at the time: The "stock" Bushmaster CMP Competition Rifle was sold with a 20" Button rifled 1 turn in 8" right hand twist; with six lands and grooves. The barrel is of Extra Heavy Competition design - 1" diameter under the hand guard.
Thanks for this information. I'll have to get that old gal dusted off and out to the range sometime soon too. Those AR's are fun shooters, but it will just take me some time to get used to that twangy sound from the bolt recoiling in that buffer tube and plastic stock.GI1

·
Registered
839 Posts
223 Loads

My preferred load is 24.5gr of Varget with a 69gr Sierra seated to mag length. I've used Winchester small rifle and cci primers. That same load with an 80gr Sierra seated long also works very well on the long line. Hope this helps and good shooting.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The go to load for years was 24.5 gr 4895 in LC cases, and 69 gr SMKs. Everyone had their favorite primer (mine was Rem BR) for this load and all worked well. Varget, being slightly slower than 4895, might not allow you to get enough powder in the case to achieve the same fps for long range shots.

I've always used H-4895 in the AR and the M-1A. If I miss the X ring, it's me, not the powder at fault.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Those CCI's are pretty hot, hotter than other magnum small rifle powders. I would not exceed 25 grains of Varget with 69's, and then only in a NM rifle. Had some pressure issues with the #41 in my 16 inch AR's that was a mild load in my RRA NM rifle. I prefer the Rem 7.5 or Wolf primers.

·
Retired
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My match load was 68 gr hornady BTHP with 23.8 of Varget, LC Brass and Win. primers.
I just picked up a bulk package of these Hornady bullets at Knob Creek and I am near completion of my new reloading room and bench. I hope to get some reloading done soon!!!GI1

1 - 20 of 34 Posts