M14 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Mercman,

Has anyone gone subsonic with the .458 using a suppressor on an AR semi-auto type rifle?
Not at this time. I am purchasing a 10.3" SBR with a suppressor to use as a duty rifle. The suppressor is rated for 7.62 ammo. I'll have to see if they sell a suppressor rated for bigger bores.
A 500gn .458 socom would have some serious knockdown power if you were clearing a house!!:oops:

Reactions: mercman

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Mercman,

Has anyone gone subsonic with the .458 using a suppressor on an AR semi-auto type rifle?

A 500gn .458 socom would have some serious knockdown power if you were clearing a house!!:oops:
I go for the shotgun for house clearing. When I was with the ProAc group back in the 90's my entry weapon was a 14" barreled 870 with a door buster muzzle attachment.

Reactions: luigi

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mercman,

Has anyone used subsonic ammo with the .458 using a suppressor on an AR semi-auto type rifle?
I've shot a couple of the SBR and Black Butterfly subsonics with both the Bowers Dreadnaught and the Liberty Goliath suppressors through my Tromix 12" lightweight upper. Both are excellent at taming the roar.

Reactions: luigi

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same issue with my Wilson Combat .458 SOCOM. I did a bit of reading and watched a couple youtube videos and one older gentleman was discussing his feed issues. He said all the work he did to get the mags, followers, polishing to work didn’t cure the problem but made it better. He decided to buy a Tromix bolt since the were part of the engineering team coming up with the .458SOCOM. The bolt fixed his issues and it ran flawlessly. So I looked at what was jamming my .458 up and it was the sharp edges on the bolt face digging into the head of the cartridge and the rim catching the ejector. I ordered the Tromix bolt($110 @ Tromix)checked my headspace and installed the bolt in the bolt carrier. (I didn’t modify anything in the chamber, or on feed ramp and I use slightly modified GI mags, and P-mags with original follower) I was skeptical that fixed the problem because simple fixes like that never happen for me. Anyway I took it out and ran 160 rounds through it and didn’t have a failure to feed or any cycling issues one single time, where before I’d get 2-3 rounds to cycle before it would jam or it would jam when I’d send the bolt home. The only issue I am having at the moment with the gun is pinholes in the primers from the firing pin, now the firing pin has a burnt/melted tip. I don’t know if it’s the primers that company used or if my firing pin is too long or maybe the company didn’t seat the primers in the pocket correctly. Anyway I hope this will help you or anyone else this issue.

Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
nicholst55, go on over to 458socomforums.com and you'll find all the information that you are looking for. You have to send an email to ask to register as they had a bunch of spam attacks a few years back.

My 2P worth... The 458 SOCOM suffers from the same issue as all non SAAMI cartridges in that the reamer and cartridge dimensions are not standard. The informal industry standard, so to speak, is the reamer used by Tromix. I think there are three different reamers made: Manson, PTG and JGS. They are slightly different. Other manufacturers have made "knockoff" reamers. According to the guys on the 458 SOCOM forum, Radical used the PTG reamer. At one point their barrels sold for $99 and they aren't considered the finest, thus the rough chamber you mentioned. The main ammo manufacturers that other posters have mentioned above, also use the Manson reamer to build their sizing dies. However, Starline is the main brass manufacturer and their brass is slightly different (0.533" at the shoulder which is the shoulder spec of the reamer, so it is too tight). You may expect to have some issues with ammo built for the Tromix chamber in a chamber cut by a different reamer. If reloading, be sure to resize all the new brass and check it in your chamber. Lots of info on this in the forum, and lost of "getting started" info for reloading, etc.

I run a Tromix 16" barrel with their head spaced bolt in an AR that I built using all Aero Precision parts, including their enlarged port XL upper. Essentially no problems and it is my favorite AR build. I mostly run the 300gr TTSX on top of 31.5 gr H110 at 1800 fps and that shoots 1 - 1.25 inch groups at 100. I also run 500 gr subsonics through a Silencerco Hybrid which makes it really quiet (and really fun). I've shot 3 gun with it using Xtreme 300 gr plated bullets and IMR 4198. Have never encountered a feed issue even with the flat nose plated bullets. It is a bit sensitive to shoulder bump when reloading - important to get that right or get one stuck in the chamber. This is probably also a function of what sizing die you use and which reamer it is built from. Maybe someday everyone will get on the same page and it can become a SAAMI cartridge. It is a low pressure cartridge and otherwise quite easy to reload. I use Hornady dies and a Lee factory crimp die with a very light crimp. Starline brass lasts a long time, and it runs on large pistol primers. All in, I think I've had more fun with this SOCOM build than anything else in my safe. Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I borescoped my chamber and barrel, and while the chamber currently contains a lot of brass shavings, it does not appear to be rough. The bore, on the other hand, varies from quite smooth, all the way to - HOLY CARP! The edges of the extractor are also quite sharp, and I'm planning to deburr them later today. I'm also planning to thoroughly clean the chamber and bore, and then lightly polish the chamber with Iosso. I'll thoroughly clean it again, and then I'm about ready to head out to the range. I have a plastic tub full of AR mags, so hopefully one or more will work!

I found the .458 SOCOM forum and did some reading. Although I do NOT need to join yet another forum, I guess I probably should if I'm going to stick with this thing.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts