M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on my next rifle being a Garand but since I bought a Marlin 39a I think I want to get another Lever. I was thinking 45-70, really like shooting the round. I know almost nothing about them. Will be used strictly for shooting rocks, cans, the lake, maybe a paper target.... What would be your suggestion for under $1500?

Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I'd get the 39's big brother, the 1895. The 22" version shoots well, and it's a strong action. The ballard rifling shoots lead real well too. I've had scoped ones put 'em in an inch at 100 with the proper load. Super fun to shoot with peep sights. You can get 2 for $1500...

·
Registered
409 Posts
I love my guide gun. Fun to shoot and ammo is cheap enough. If you reload, you can get some very spice rounds that are totally safe. I replaced my factory sights with a Williams set. Love em, and would suggest them to anyone.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
you want a 1972. only year they made them
1895 45/70 with ballard cut rifling. the next
year they went with the microgroove.

the reason you want the 1972 is it is
the only 45/70 lever you can shoot the
big old 500 grain cast bullets in. GI8
they will not fit in the newer ones.

i searched many gunshows over many
years but found one. seller did not know
about it and price was high for a 45/70.
but i always wanted one. so i bought it.

so now i read that the New 1895 classic
has the ballard rifling but it will not fit a 500
grain bullet. looks like a nice rifle.
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/bigbore/1895.asp
what ever you get the 45/70 is a fun shooter.
Lruss

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
In 1997 Marlin switched to Ballard rifling to Big bores, '94s, and '95s. I've shot many a tight groups with lead in a MicroGroove, and didn't rush right out and buy one. Properly sized and hard bullets and gas checks work best in ALL types of rifling, more especially Micros. Garage cast softer lead thumpers tend to favor the Ballard, and are very popular with the cowboy action crowd. If I was choosing tomorrow, I would indeed look for a Ballard barrel, post '97.

·
Registered
789 Posts
The 45-70 certainly has had a resurgence in popularity. I have a .444 Marlin lever action with Ballard rifling. With LeverEvolution ammo, I have literally gotten cloverleafs at 100yds. The 45-70 doesn't have the downrange ballistics compared to the .444 but it has a much larger reloading capability. The .450 marlin is essentially a "maxed out" 45-70. I've heard more complaints than compliments about it due to it's punishing recoil. If you go to www.marlinowners.com you can get all kinds of good info about these rifles and calibers. GITEN

·
Registered
231 Posts
The cowboy in 45-70 is a sweet looking rifle, I have the .357 in the cowboy and love it and would like to add the 45-70 in the same rifle.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have 5 45-70's. I am a glutton for pinishment. these include a Davidsons LTD-V, 24" oct/round barrel, and a new SBL 18" barrel stainless laminate. Both are excellent quality and lots of fun.

Don

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was in Cabelas yesterday and they have 1895SBL, stainless 18.5" barrel with a laminate stock. It was so purty. Might have to go back.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just got mine (Marlin 1895 45-70) a few months ago. Found one in really nice condition on auctionarms site. I think I got it for 4 & quarter plus transfer & shipping. I just started shooting it and the jury is still out on calling it fun! Mine shoots well at a 100 yards. One thing, I had a 3x9 Tasco laying around so I mounted it on see-thru mounts and I'm not sure the Tasco will live very long. If you're gonna scope it, get a good one. I let my brother shoot it and he said it's like shooting a civil war cannon. RNGR1

I also cringe everytime I shoot $2 down range, reloading is definitely in my future. Anyways, my recommendation would be the Marlin 1895. BTW mine is the rifle (longer barrel) and not the guide.

OnEdit: My wife and I went to to Montana about 7 years ago and while we were there we made a trip to Big Timber for the specific purpose of touring Shiloh Rifle Manufacturing Co. The Sharps rifle is a very nice rifle especially if long range shooting and plinking is your goal. Might be a little tough to stay under $1500 but they are out there. Just in case you change your mind about a lever gun..... RNGR1 http://www.shilohrifle.com/

View attachment 8348

The top one is the 45-70, the bottom one is a .375 winchester.

View attachment 8349
45-70

·
Registered
165 Posts
I absolutely love my Marlin Guide Gun, but then again I've always been a carbine guy. For max ballistic performance (and punishment), check out Garrett Cartridge Company's website.

·
Registered
362 Posts
When I was in the 8th grade, 1992 I think, I got my first rifle, a Marlin 1895 in 45-70. Mine was made before Marlin introduced the guide gun and it has a 22 inch micro groove barrel. It isn't as pretty as it used to be but it still packs a punch. Currently it has a Leupold 2.5x scout scope setup installed, which I like.

If you reload your own cartridges, you can have a lot of fun with this cartridge. One of my favorite loads is a Sierra 300 grain hollow point bullet in front of 33 to 35 grains of IMR 4198 powder. That load is safe to shoot in old trapdoor Springfield rifles according to Sierra's manual. The velocity would be around 1500 to 1600 fps most likely. This load doesn't kick too bad and is pleasant to shoot.

The hottest I've ever loaded these shells would be 300 grain hollow points in front of 50 grains of IMR 4198 or Reloader 7 powder. I think these are the max loads listed for the new Marlin rifles. Those loads really hurt my shoulder and I can only handle about 10 shots in one day before I have to call it quits.

I haven't loaded any lead bullets in this caliber yet. The 300 grain Sierra hollow points work well enough for me. I have toyed around with the idea of loading solids, but I can't see a practical reason to use those bullets around here. If I were to spend a great amount of time in Alaska or Africa I would probably keep my Marlin within arms reach as much as possible.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I like the Guide guns. I had a 450 Marlin that was ported and I traded it out for a 45-70 non ported model, put the XS sights on it and it is great to carry around while we are working on the lease. The 18" bbld Ported models are really loud even with ear plugs.
I also like the 16.5" bbld 44 mag. it is my favorite to pack around, hog rifle. With the winchester 240 gr soft pt white box it is a shoulder stomper!

I like these short big bores. I got a lee mold to cast some 420 gr flat nose for it can't wait to get my reloading room finished to see what they will do to my gong target and some wild pigs. I'm betting they will kill on both ends though!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I own 2 45/70's

One Navy Arms Remington rolling block with a custom veneer (sp) site that cost me more then the rifle!

It was my Black powder cartridge silhouette competition rifle & it's a ton of fun to shoot!

My other one is a limited production Browning 1886 Saddle Ring carbine. I haven't shot it a whole lot, but it was a kick in the butt to shoot a 300yard silhouette with open sights, don't think I can do that now a day's with my old eye's.

I still have a casting pot & molds ready to go to produce lead for the Rolling Block.

If any would like a few 520 gr lead bullets, I'm sure that I could spare a few for you to try out!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Do you gas check the 520s? I'd like to try them but I'm pretty sure they won't cycle in my marlin. I'm thinking of picking up a 45-70 handi rifle single shot as you can use them for primitive arm deer season instead of the muzzle loader. I'll bet they would work hog stomping magic in that rifle if my shoulder can stand the punishment.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Do you gas check the 520s? I'd like to try them but I'm pretty sure they won't cycle in my marlin. I'm thinking of picking up a 45-70 handi rifle single shot as you can use them for primitive arm deer season instead of the muzzle loader. I'll bet they would work hog stomping magic in that rifle if my shoulder can stand the punishment.

Gatorshooter,

No gas check, just a card wad under the bullet. I try to keep the them about 1100 FSP to match my sites.

Shoot me a PM with your address & I get you some to try.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a two Marlins in 45/70 (1895 and a Guide Gun) and one in .450 (Guide Gun). They are a lot of fun to shoot, except when using the Garrett Hammerheads. I found 420 grain hardcast @ whatever speed the Hammerheads are moving at to be TOO much of a good thing GI8.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts