M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Your Marlin is a fine gun as it comes from the factory, but I prefer the Browning 1886.
Either one can be loaded to a level that is at best uncomfortable, but the Browning model is a very well built gun and shows good workmanship throughout. Had the carbine version and was a great gun, but little light for the loads I use and the rifle version w/ 26" octagon barrel and 9 rnds has some heft to it and very accurate. Browning's version has not been made since '86 and Winchester is now offering the gun under their name, but has a tang safety, modified trigger as well and from the ones I have handled aren't as smooth or well finished as the older Brownings. Turnbull uses the Browning guns to do his "magic" on them as well as the new Winchesters, but he removes the tang safety/trigger set up and restores them to the original Winchester/Browning set up, half safety, good trigger. Pricing of the Brownings range from 800-1200.00 for the std. grade and twice that for the deluxe model. The deluxe is a beautiful rifle, but not practical for hunting, at least to me. I am a fan of the 45/70 Gov't and have a custom Ruger No. 3 in that caliber as well. You can hunt anything in North America with the round with confidence.

· Registered
1,576 Posts
I'm a .45/70 man too. There's an 1895 Cowboy, an 1895 Standard with the 22" round barrel with Zeiss glass & an H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic with long range sights in the safe. My #1 meat caliber.

· Registered
2,001 Posts
I have a Win SRC in 45/70 (Miroku) and I love it. Had one in 45/90 too, but didn't see the need since one can push the 45/70 up easily past the 45/90 loadings. Doug is a magician with CCH, and his guns are worth every penny IMHO.

You are right - decisions......decisions......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.