M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So allow me to pick the brains of my forum brothers. In relation to the 41 magnum vs. the 44 magnum which would you choose? Why? What are the unique advantages of either?

I will be buying one or the other. I like the 44 but found a 41 for a pretty good price.

I also have a choice - Ruger Blackhawk or a S&W in both calibers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have wheelguns in both .44 and .41 mag. I prefer the .41 for accuracy, but it costs more to load and there are less options available for projectiles. (Supply & demand I guess). Therefore I always end up shooting my .44 more, but if all things were equal I probably wouldn't even have bought the .44

I would choose a Smith over a Ruger revolver. My personal opinion is that Ruger makes great rifles, but I never took a liking to their handguns.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'd go with the 44 mag--you can find ammo for it just about anywhere plus as mentioned before, there are a number of rifles that are chambered for the 44

and I'll go with the Ruger Redhawk over any Smith.
Its built like a tank

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
.41 mag for me. \:D/

Smith revolvers for sure and don't let the "lack" of ammo options worry you. You can buy 'good stuff" for the .41 mag for as low as $15.99 for a box of 50. They are 210 JHP and hit like a Mack truck. I've got about 500 of the stuff in my gun safe right now that I bought at that price and it shoots great through my Mod 57.

If you want rounds for self defense, you can also find them - I personally prefer the 175 gr. Silvertips. My Baer custom 4" loves them.

Not to say that I don't like .44 mags - I love shooting them also.

If you've got a line on a Mod 57 or 58 and you don't want to buy it, spread the wealth and let us know about it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

db

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
duckbuck,
The model 57 is still for sale at a local shop for $399.00. I ended up picking up a S&W Mountain Gun. I have had one before and really liked it. They give a bit of a kick to the hand but I am pretty big and handle it pretty well.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I'm one of those .41 fanatics. I like it cause it's 'different'. I have been shooting it for over 20 years and now own 9 different .41 mag pistols. I shoot and load a lot of .41 , mostly Lyman 459410 , a hard-cast 220 gr Keith style SWC , usually over 15 grs of Blue Dot. Its a stiff load but accurate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.