M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting my sights for a 250m zero on the 25m range (1.5" above poa). I have to ratchet the rear sight up 41 clicks.
Is this normal?

SAI M1A Standard Loaded

·
Registered
59 Posts
Most competitors like to put between 7 and 10 clicks of elevation for their 200 yd zero. 41 sounds like a setting for 1000 yards.

David

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
With the standard front sight, the 'wings' on the sides of the post should be totally ignored when aiming, use only the top of the post as aiming reference.
The wings are there only to protect the post and are not involved in aiming.

41 clicks would place the rear aperture almost all the way up - is that what is happening for you?

The typical sight setting for 200 yards is about 10-14 clicks up from bottom.

Needing 41 clicks would mean either the front post is much too tall, barrel is bent, barrel does not fit the receiver properly, or something else...

Also important is what type of sight picture are you using?
With a 6 o'clock hold, the aiming black should be about 1.5 inch diameter at 25 y/m.
With a POI = POA hold, use as small an aiming black as you can see clearly.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the standard front sight, the 'wings' on the sides of the post should be totally ignored when aiming, use only the top of the post as aiming reference.
The wings are there only to protect the post and are not involved in aiming.

Well understood
41 clicks would place the rear aperture almost all the way up - is that what is happening for you?

Yes!

The typical sight setting for 200 yards is about 10-14 clicks up from bottom.

Needing 41 clicks would mean either the front post is much too tall, barrel is bent, barrel does not fit the receiver properly, or something else...

That is my question.

Also important is what type of sight picture are you using?
With a 6 o'clock hold, the aiming black should be about 1.5 inch diameter at 25 y/m.
With a POI = POA hold, use as small an aiming black as you can see clearly.

6'o'clock is what I use.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

The front sight is a national match that came from the factory.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
600 yards is 34 clicks up from Zero for me on my Target Rifle
on my Shooter 100 yards is 2 clicks from Zero

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I'd call SAI and tell them about the situation.
Ask them how you should measure the front sight to determine if it is too high.
Maybe there's a way to measure without removing the sight.
Measuring to about 1/32 inch accuracy should be adequate to determine if the front sight is the problem.

Also,
1) does the barrel look straight when you eye-ball down it? Is the firing pin centered?
2) insert a cleaning rod and examine where the end of the rod meets the firing pin.
3) remove the receiver from the stock and examine how the barrel's shoulder bears against the receiver - are there any gaps?

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Also be sure to look at the alignment of the flash suppressor.
Especially look to see if there is any evidence of the bullet touching the flash suppressor (e.g. copper colored rub marks).

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The NM sight post (blade only)is .222" or a smudge over 7/32" tall.
I do not notice any deformations in the barrel, no bullet strikes in the f/s, and no fit problems.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Is the rear sight moving when you crank it up? Whatever the problem is, it should be glaringly obvious. What are you shooting for ammo? Is your gas plug loose? Ill bet that's why this is happening, or the ammo is crap. Either that or the sight is not moving when you crank it up, but you would notice that, right?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is the rear sight moving when you crank it up? Whatever the problem is, it should be glaringly obvious. What are you shooting for ammo? Is your gas plug loose? Ill bet that's why this is happening, or the ammo is crap. Either that or the sight is not moving when you crank it up, but you would notice that, right?
I watch the sight, it moves up with each click. I've been running it up for each trip to the range since I've had it.
41 clicks for 1.5" at 25m and back to the bottom for storage.

She is accurate with New 7.62 winchester, S. African NATO, and Argentinian NATO. I can put a nickle over 10 rounds at 25m. Iron sights.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I called SAI and now have a Fed Ex sticker to send it back this week. The man on the phone said to expect a two to three week turn around. Sucks for deer season!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sounds like a WAY too tall front sight to me. I think I would have just filed that front sight down. It should never have left SAI in that condition. I wonder if SAI shoots the weapon on paper for POA/POI verification, or just points the muzzle downrange and makes sure it burns powder? I wouldn't think that they build so many rifles that they can't take the time to see if it does what it was designed to do-hit targets.

Kevin

BTW, I wouldn't mind having that job. Perhaps there would be a QC position open for that GI2

·
Registered
558 Posts
The very top (highest point) of the front sight should be within .560 and .567 from the bottom of sight (where the dovetail slot is). If its in that range, its not the front sight.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Springfield has had my rifle for 10 business days.

I spoke with them today and got the impression that my rifle had been lost in the mix. They said I should have my rifle in two to three more weeks.

This sucks!

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
I feel your pain brother, I just sent in a three year old 700 round M21 for a soft bolt. This is the second trip back for my rifle. The first issue was minor in comparison. I should have fixed it myself.
I have a similar problem that I did not even report to them because I looked at it as an advantage. I need to bottom out my rear sight to be zeroed so inside 100 yards, which I rarely ever shoot I need to use Kentucky windage. The tech support folks were out at Perry in august when I called on this interesting issue. The woman sent me free of charge a taller nm front sight blade which I gladly accepted and place it on a 18.5 inch build I was finishing up. Worked out well, I got a free part but the fact still remains I am bottomed out on elevation at 100 yards. I look at it as an advantage, as I move further out the rear aperature is not as extended and less prone to move. Does not dispute the fact that there is something wrong in doge city. I honestly don't know what to attribute it to. Front sight out of spec, rear sight out of spec, who knows. I thought about messing with it but thought twice when I thought of a saying you hear so often on the forum, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Getting back to your issue haveing to come up 41 clicks is way off the mark and is probably one for the record books. I am keeping a mental list of all the problems I have seen here on the forum with SAI rifles. I am not surprised by any issues I read about with there rifles anymore. I would really like to hear what there explination is for your problem and what they did to fix it. Please keep us posted. When I sent mine in, I wrote in the letter that I wanted a call from the repair department prior to any work they intended on doing. You may want to do the same or you might never know. They may just splash holy water on it make the sign of the cross after a fix and send it back with there fingers crossed. I am sorry to say I lost faith in them. I have to commend them on there warranty policy but again as it's been mentioned before here, it does not say much for there QC department if one even exists. I often wonder if other manufacturers have the same rate of returns. I hope yiu don't dispair over what I am saying, I am certian your rifle will come back working correctly. It's just a big PITA to have to go through the motions as if you did not already know that.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I don't mean to insult you, but can you wiggle the flash suppressor? Mine was loose with no evidence of bullet strikes. New sights solved the whole problem. How are your groups?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts