M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another thread asking for an opinion on a lightweight and small pistol for a bicycle packing trip I am taking in July. Well I decided on a Glock 27 and I have found one and spent some time shooting it. I absolutely love it and it is a perfect combination of capacity, power, and size for the application. Now I need to decide on a round to carry in it for the Central Idaho backwoods. I will be on the edge of both the Sawtooth and Frank Church Wilderness and River of no return. There is always the possibility of black bear or even grizzly. My buddy on the trip will have bear spray. I have no disillusions of shooting a grizzly with a .40. As a last ditch save my life effort I would. There's not much cash left to buy another load so here are my options I have on hand..

Winchester white box 180 grain Hollow points
Speer Gold Dot 165 grain Hollow points
Speer Lawman 180 grain Hollow points
Winchester white box 180 grain FMJ
Blazer Brass 165 grain FMJ

I was thinking about alternating between Lawman 180 grain hollow points and 180 FMJ's..

What do you guys think? Also I am really pressed for space and weight on this trip so I'm not sure how many spare mags to bring. I'm already hauling food water and gear for 600 miles of dirt roads on a bike.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
The .40's ballistic coefficient is similar to the .45 ACP with flatter shooting and a bit snappier recoil. It would probably be enough for black bears and cats with good shot placement. If you're going up north and think that you might run into brown bears I'd go for something with a bit more punch, like a .357 or a .44Mag.

Reactions: dsdmmat

·
Registered
50 Posts
I myself would rule out hollow point ammo in the 40 for bear. Given the choice you have, I would load up with 180 FMJ with hopes of better penetration and bone breaking ability.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I'd look at a fmj. I would want the spray for a grizzly.

Go to Cabelas and pick up a can of spray. It's more practical.

I'm not sure if a 10 mm with buffalo bore ammo would even be enough.

Bear attacks happen fast.

·
Registered
634 Posts
My buddy on the trip will have bear spray.
I would want the spray for a grizzly.
Bear attacks happen fast.
Heaviest load with most penetration. 180 soft point or FMJ. 10mm would be better, .44Mag even more. A contact shot in the mouth, as they clamp down on your gun hand, or a chest shot, as they stand up to crush you, will give the best chance of stopping him.

Thought you might enjoy this warning, especially regarding the pepper spray.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
That'd work for me but 10mm factory ammo is pretty hard to come by these days and if guy doesn't hand load he could be out of luck.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I wouldn't alternate loads unless they had identical recoil characteristics. They might. I'm sure you'll be testing all ammo for 100% reliability first anyway.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Caution goes further than bullets. I'm sure you know that though. A guy just killed a 9ft grizzly with 7rds of 45acp in Alaska. full power 180fmj should do fine. Get some full size mags jik.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I carry a G23 with S&B 180 gr. truncated cone FMJs when hiking in the mountains along the east TN/NC/GA border areas. I figure that 13 rounds of this load will provide a good option for black bear if I encounter an aggressive one. Quick hits with a round that will penetrate to bone, vital organs or the skull.

Two spare mags of the S&B 180's are tucked on the opposite side of my hip. If I'm out in the middle of summer and conditions are relatively dry and I'm worried about copperheads, I'll have a couple of CCI snake shot rounds leading the pack in the magazine.

I've had to use the snakeshot rounds, but, thankfully, never had to use the FMJs on bear or hogs, as I've never encountered one. Seen plenty of sign, scratchings, claw gougings, etc... but never the actual bear.

In the mountain west where the critters are bigger I might opt for a Glock 10mm, S&W .41 Magnum or .44 Magnum.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Caution goes further than bullets. I'm sure you know that though. A guy just killed a 9ft grizzly with 7rds of 45acp in Alaska. full power 180fmj should do fine. Get some full size mags jik.
Sorry, didn't see this before I posted the link.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have you considered 357 Sig? I could be wrong, but I think you can get a barrel that will fit in your G27 and even reuse your mags. Would give better penetration.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I couldn't add the link from my phone but would have. I'm the type of paranoid person that if I were going in an area where Brown bears frequent I would not carry an auto loader. Would be a bisley Blackhawk in 45lc stoked with the biggest, baddest loads possible. I'm an avid fisherman and have come across all manners of critters along rivers. Bottom line is I never set foot in the woods unarmed. Period! Being watchful of the area has kept me unscathed more times than using my gun.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I couldn't add the link from my phone but would have. I'm the type of paranoid person that if I were going in an area where Brown bears frequent I would not carry an auto loader. Would be a bisley Blackhawk in 45lc stoked with the biggest, baddest loads possible. I'm an avid fisherman and have come across all manners of critters along rivers. Bottom line is I never set foot in the woods unarmed. Period! Being watchful of the area has kept me unscathed more times than using my gun.
Ever have any close encounters/scary moments?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
10mm...
if 16 Black Talons can't solve the problem only God can help you.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Gators, snakes, turtles, weirdos. Those were when I lived in north Charleston, SC. I spent lots of time in the woods in Goose Creek, monks corner and beyond. I always sought out the back woods areas because the fishing was better. It was not uncommon to have a very large gator follow your fish in to shore. Seems the bigger the fish, the bigger the lizard. Snakes were all too common as well but could avoid our deal with them easier. The woods people were what worried me the most. Mainly poachers. No matter how far out I got I would stumble on someone. Only one of them ever about made me about crap my pants and pull my gun though. I don't think he was a poacher though. At least not after 4 legged critters though. That's another matter...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts