M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received this thing along with a bunch of old 38 S$W cartridges yesterday.
The tear gas pen made by Argus in Chicago. It had one rnd of WW 38 special tear gas corroded in the chamber. After soaking in kroil over night I removed the contents of the cartridge but was unable to get the stuck casing out. Finally fired off the primer and extracted most of the casing. Will get out the broken shell extractor later to remove the remainder after another good soak.
You just never know what you are going to find in an old accumulation of stuff.

[URL=http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0717_zpsjgiva5vv.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Registered
460 Posts
Cool. My dad had one made by "Pengun" it was in .25 acp. I found it in his pickup. Had no idea what it was. Looking it over closely I found if you push the release on it while pointing it at your face it wasn't an enjoyable experience, not to be repeated. I sold the little gem on ebay not long ago. It brought like $80 or better. Yours looks older. Yours looks like it chokes down quite a bit. Must be long range model :) There are people that collect them.

Reactions: nf1e

·
Registered
262 Posts
Howdy,

Colt made an "Aerial Flare Kit" long ago.

It used a screw-in red flare, similar to the Penguin.
The Penguin flare had a higher range and was brighter.

The signal flare had a red housing.

They also had a tear gas screw-in unit that was gold colored.

These came in a plastic case with two flares and a spring clip to mount
the launcher to a flat surface.

I still have the one I originally purchased for $ 6.95.

They became illegal to carry concealed in California when some bad guy shot a man in a bar in San Diego.
You could only carry one if you were hunting, boating, fishing or hiking.

Keep yer powder dry Buckeroos,

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.