1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’d got a Uberti 1873 in 357:
Hand tool Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Kitchen utensil

And I freaking LOVE this thing. Consider, I’m not even really a “levergun guy”

But the main thing is today I finally got out to chrony a couple loads as I’ve read so many times how 357 out of a rifle picks up a good bit of steam & I’d say so.

Factory Remington 125gr jhp were clocking 2142 fps!

Mind you, this is pre ‘92 ammo, before 357 got watered down to the garbage they pawn off on us now.

And for the real barn burners, my handloads using a full charge of 296 under 125gr fmjs. They came in at…. 2244 fps!

Lets just say it hits steel with authority at close range.

I’ve got more to share about this rifle, including some gripes but I wanted to share the velocity readings I got today first.

·
Registered
321 Posts
So I’d got a Uberti 1873 in 357:
View attachment 483003

And I freaking LOVE this thing. Consider, I’m not even really a “levergun guy”

But the main thing is today I finally got out to chrony a couple loads as I’ve read so many times how 357 out of a rifle picks up a good bit of steam & I’d say so.

Factory Remington 125gr jhp were clocking 2142 fps!

Mind you, this is pre ‘92 ammo, before 357 got watered down to the garbage they pawn off on us now.

And for the real barn burners, my handloads using a full charge of 296 under 125gr fmjs. They came in at…. 2244 fps!

Lets just say it hits steel with authority at close range.

I’ve got more to share about this rifle, including some gripes but I wanted to share the velocity readings I got today first.
Awesome! I want one. Thanks for the testing. I'm not a purist when it comes to caliber authenticity, and when I get a LA, I want it in 357. I like the flexibility for 38 special.

Yours looks sharp. Enjoy!

Reactions: gevarm96

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have the Rossi 92's in 357 and 44 mag. Those pistol cal lever rifles are a lot of fun to shoot.
If I find a lever gun in 45 colt that strikes me fancy I'll have it also.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That rifle is a beauty! How do you like the quality of the Uberti? I've looked into them and never took the plunge. .357 would be my pick for caliber on a lever gun.
Thank you. Overall I’m very happy. The only spot I’ve found where it is not well finished is inside the elevator but it doesn’t affect function.

I don’t like the cresent buttplate, the bottom point of it pokes me how I naturally shoulder a rifle but I’m teaching myself to shoulder it differently. Gonna take a lot of practice though.

The rear sight is TERRIBLE. I’m not sure what they were thinking there. I’m probably going to have the horns or whatever milled off so the top of the sight is flat. Then I’ll actually be able to line the sights up properly.

Otherwise I really really like this rifle. I can see its easily going to become one of my ‘go tos’

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Privi Partisan 357 is rated at something like 1900 fps if you're looking for modern ammo that has pretty high velocity ratings.
Also I think Hornady LEVERevolution rounds are kinda hot too.
I have some older PPU 357 & yeah that stuff is WARM. But its earmarked for use only in my baby, an in the box 1970s M28 because that stuff shoots scary good out of that gun.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Hand tool Gun accessory

·
Registered
32 Posts
Recently had a conversation with Winchester about the lack of 357 models trickling in. They were quite candid
about some numbers . . . . They have a PRE-PAID backorder for 600 / .357 lever guns, and only 175 are shipped in yearly !
They also estimate a non paid wait list at various retailers to be at 2K ! And their source is at capacity.

So . . . the chances of getting a Winchester any year soon . . . . . SLIM :( (pre pay and wait 3yrs)
Gonna go out of my way to get a closer look at what you secured ....... it is very much just like a certain model Winchester is spec'd
keep us posted on it !

·
Registered
Built Socom 16
29 Posts
I'm eyeing one of the new Marlin big loop 357 carbines. Can't wait until they drop. The Italian stuff is a great value, a friend of mine slicks up the actions and man, they run nicely!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The rear sight is TERRIBLE. I’m not sure what they were thinking there. I’m probably going to have the horns or whatever milled off so the top of the sight is flat. Then I’ll actually be able to line the sights up properly.
The horns are there for longer range shooting with out having to move the rear sight. Once you have the rear elevation adjusted to where you do the most shooting, the center and top of the semi - buckhorn.. traditionally add +50 yds each to your zero range.

All dependent on caliber and load..... velocity, projectile weight etc..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts