M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have an AR chambered in this round ?

& if so how's it shoot ?

What Barrel are you using ?

What ammo you using ?

I plan on using an AR 15 in this Caliber for Hunting in Ohio this year .

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
YouTube “The Social Regressive”.
He has all the info on that cartridge you could ask for.

Cheers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Only thing that concerns me is the bullet designs I've seen being pushed. 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, both out of rifle length barrels, and 30-30 WCF are capable of killing so well because of the dull round nose and flat point bullets used in tube magazines. Flat nose soft points are the most inefficient design for external ballistics, but then again they are the most efficient at terminal ballistics in rifles. Spitzer's are the exact opposite, and high performing spitzer soft points take a lot of engineering, and a lot more energy, to make them effective.

Lower energy rounds like 30-30, and especially 357 and 44 magnum in rifles, don't just do their best with such blunt bullets, they almost need them. Yeah, our 308's, 30-06's, 300 magnums, et al can do just fine with sharper soft points, but not our straight walls. A lot of lever cartridges, like the magnum pistol rounds and others, aren't just short range because of low velocity, or poor BC bullets, but because they start off with limited potential at lower power and soon run out of potential. They are "brush guns" for a reason, everything about them makes them perfect for short range work, and everything makes them poor at longer range work.

The great problem is that spitzer's won't solve the "brush gun"s problems of short range. A sharper bullet profile, along with the low muzzle energy, means you now have a rifle cartridge that sucks at close range, not just at long range! 350 Legend should theoretically have the same profile bullets as other brush guns, to best utilize the power inherent; trying to make it flatter shooting might turn it into a wounder and poor choice overall. Some of these bullets provide the worst of both worlds, poor terminal performance along with STILL poor BC and STILL low velocities that STILL give it a crappy rainbow arc trajectory.

Be prepared for this to be a "direct to obsolescent" cartridge like so many others.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I was going to say, legendarily obsoleted.
But hey, if ya need another cartridge, who’s stopping ya.
If ya hate it or can’t find a use for it, sell it.

·
Forum Jester
6,920 Posts
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuaNLx8pZbw"]350 Legend vs 450 Bushmaster - Cinder Block Test - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD0Y6rpl_t8"]350 Legend vs Ballistics Gel - Slow Motion - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfWDFoka-dc"]450 Bushmaster VS 458 SOCOM - Ballistics Gel - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XDtRXbAegs"]Ballistic gel can't stop 350 Legend at 100 or 200 yards - Federal Power Shok, Speer TMJ - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a reason why you didn't just decide to go with 450 Bushmaster ?

I'm curious. No criticism.
Recoil , I may not be the only one using it , My 12 Ga.DSG & 45-70 may also be used .

All this about power or stopping power , I hunted exclusively with a 44 mag. for many years & I harvested Deer every year , some shots were over 100 yards . This 350 L Cartridge has plenty of Power & Penetration & more Bullet configurations are coming out all the time .

I seem to recall the same argument was put forth for the 300BLK , see how that worked out . You have to remember that in Ohio, its straight wall Cartridges , .357 & above . Most shots will be well under 100 yards , so long range Bullet performance is mot .

I have been reading about this Cartridge since it first came out & had my misgivings about it at first , but seems people are dropping Deer with it with out issues . & did you guys ever just want to try a different Cartridge then what you have always used , in Ohio its Been 12 ga. Slugs ,Hand Guns , then Hastings rifled Barrels with Sabot's & now straight walled Rifle cases & hunting with an AR to me its tops & only way to top that would be to hunt with one of my M14's , but I'm not sure I would want to Chamber it in a straight walled case .

I just wanted to here from those who have tried this Cartridge here & what Barrel , maker they are using .

·
Registered
151 Posts
I know I could catch hell for my ballistics gel videos for not shooting them with a BB to calibrate beforehand, and I am in the wrong for my slopiness. This guy is obviously far worse, you can see the bubbles in the gel blocks from not letting them cook long enough. His results are a bit questionable.

Beyond that, those wound channels for the Legend didn't look that good. For all that power, there ain't much to look at.

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
Back in the 1980's, we did CQB and room clearing with MP5's in 9x19mm. I view the 9x43mm (that's what the .350 Legend actually is) out of a short barreled AR to the perfect CQB combination. Just enough range and power for urban use. RNGR2

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I built one out of a BCA upper for my wife to hunt with. recoil is very close to 556 recoil slim to none haven't shot it a lot (been working up hunting loads for my 450) but plan on working up a hunting load around the 170 grain interlock bullet. seems plenty accurate with the 147 Winchester ammo that's all I've tried so far.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have never understood why you would use the same Gel block to test multiple Ammo types & expect to have comparing results . I know I have never used this for testing , but I would think ,once it's compromised with a Bullet shot through it , how can you be sure anything else will expand in it as it would if the Block was not shot ?

I have seen videos of large Deer shot with a 350 L & they went down pretty good . 45-70, 12 ga. slugs , sabot'ed Bullets & all but one of my 44 mag hand gun shot Deer , had full penetration & exited with no recover of the Bullet , except that one 44 mag shot , where I shot the Buck from stem to stern , Bullet was recovered in the Skin at the back Leg . Not sure what the Bullet hit on the way all the way through the Deer , but the Bullet had perfect expansion of the 200 gr.HP Bullet . & yes the Deer flipped over backwards & dropped like a stone .About a 50 yd. shot .

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have never understood why you would use the same Gel block to test multiple Ammo types & expect to have comparing results . I know I have never used this for testing , but I would think ,once it's compromised with a Bullet shot through it , how can you be sure anything else will expand in it as it would if the Block was not shot ?

I have seen videos of large Deer shot with a 350 L & they went down pretty good . 45-70, 12 ga. slugs , sabot'ed Bullets & all but one of my 44 mag hand gun shot Deer , had full penetration & exited with no recover of the Bullet , except that one 44 mag shot , where I shot the Buck from stem to stern , Bullet was recovered in the Skin at the back Leg . Not sure what the Bullet hit on the way all the way through the Deer , but the Bullet had perfect expansion of the 200 gr.HP Bullet . & yes the Deer flipped over backwards & dropped like a stone .About a 50 yd. shot .
Depending on the bullet and damage it inflicts on the block, up to five handgun shots can be put into the same block, so long as the impact and bullet paths are far enough apart. Too much damage will ruin the results.

As for hunting, or any terminal performance issue, they are like brakes on a car. We don't worry so much about the times they work well, the problem is when they fail If we want to talk about 32 S&W Long as a police cartridge and its history, we don't listen to the proponents who talk about the times it stopped people in their tracks, we focus on the times it didn't and why and how we can do better. If we want to talk about a deer killing round, we don't look at the times a bullet did a quick kill so much as we look at the times it failed and why. What we deem adequate and what we push for is based on more marginal hits that are made in real life situations, not the best performance in the best hits.

Shoot a deer through the ribs with a 220 Swift or a 22-250 and watch as you drop it dead in its tracks. Move that shot to the shoulder of a big buck and watch as the bullet explodes on the bone and the deer runs off wounded and you never find it. Shoot a deer with e hardcast 30-06 bullet to the heart and watch as you make a decent kill. Move the shot back and hit it in the guts and punch a poor hole through it, then track the wounded animal for hours because of poor wounding. In both cases, we don't focus on the times those combinations worked, we worry about when they didn't.

We start to put away the .224 caliber guns because it is unethical, we choose a softer cast bullet or a jacketed soft point for our 30-06, we pick up a bigger caliber for cast hunting to make those marginal hits more effective.

The approach to ethical hunting cartridges needs to be like test proofing a gun, you put a proof charge to stress the gun to see if it fails. They used to beat cast metal cannons with hammers to see if they would break, so they would not fail in the field. Don't come with an attitude of validating cartridges and people's choices, rather keep the criteria objective and be on the side of effectiveness.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes , even Match type Bullets , if shot placed in the right spot will down a Deer . Of course we don't use them , because better , higher percentage , Bullets are available & are a wiser choice .

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went with a Faxon Barrel with what I call "Uni Feed Ramps " , its one big open Feed Ramp instead of M4 type,( which some are having feeding issues with ) 16" , Carbine Gas system , Nitrated & mated it with a VG 6 9mm Brake .

Photos to follow when upload them .

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dang , I took all assembly photos with my iPhone 11 & cant get them small enough or the correct type of photo to load on here , so I took some with my Nikon this morning to show what Barrel I got & the (Uni ) Feed Ramp on this Barrel .USN2

Attachments

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,622 Posts
Kinda sounds like the .351 WSL* making a come back, .351 WSL* on left, .401 WSL* on right. some thing like the .401 would make a interesting AR chambering.

IMGP4050.JPG

Casey
*Winchester Self Loading

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a Forster Head Space Gage ( Go ) today for the 350 Legend & with the Bolt Stripped & clean , HS was gtg .Now I can get some Range time .

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I'd bet, adding bone to 350 Legend ballistic gel testing would provide better info. The 350 legend is gonna break a shoulder bone on a deer for sure.
And all that penetration from the 350, might come in handy on stem to stern shots.. and all the bone between those ends.

Combine the low recoil of the round, in a semi auto, and you have a modern "30/30 ish" cartridge... with a upper that can readily be attached to your existing lower.

Its nice to have choices, and the AR platform sure has a lot.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Faxon Barrel shot very well for the first time out with it , avg. 2 , 2 1/2 " groups . The 150 gr. shot the best groups , tested were 150gr. WW (tipped ) 180 gr. WW & Fed., 170 gr. Hornady (SP ) The 180 gr. Fed. was a blaster compared to the others , the 150's were like shooting a 22LR .

I have to Gert used to the James Madison Tactical Trigger , breaks at a little over 3# & had some called flyers because of its light single stage Pull , I'm spoiled with two stage Triggers , but for a hunting rifle , I wanted a single stage . Some more shooting & I'll get used to it .

I sighted in with the 170 gr. Hornady's , both it & the 180 gr. shot at the same point of aim , the 150 WW & the Fed 180's shot a inch or two lower , but still would have been in the Kill area of a Deer . I could not attach my Magnetospeed to tis Rifle in any way , I tried for almost an hour , but the 15" HG on a 16" Barrel , I couldn't get it close enough to the Bullet path for the MS to work , I was getting errors even before I could shoot . This fooling around probably screwed me when shooting , because I was already sweating into my eyes & my glasses were noggin to a point I could see .

Both Mags worked fine , a 10 rd. CMMG & a 20 rd. Duramag .

9B8EC270-185B-4FF7-A9CC-EF076F351F34.jpeg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts