M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some friends in up north that said the had some 350 Legend Ammo that would not fire in multiple rifles & AR 15's . It was WW Ammo , not sure if it was one Bullet Weight or several , I have read that early WW had some issues with putting a roll Crimp on the 350 Legend & some Case length issues which resulted in a failure to fire . They said one of the Reloaders Pulled apart one to see if there was something obvious & he couldn't see anything out of the ordinary . They called me & I informed them of some issues with early WW Ammo , it was confirmed it was only WW Ammo having any issues . Now my story ;

Knowing this before reloading any ammo for the 350 Legend , I had to use my old RCBS Trimmer , its the Collet type that has different Collets for different Case sizes , no problem , the 5.56/.223 Collet will work , now the Pilot for the .355 Case was another matter , the .35 Cal. Pilot was too large , .358 , so a little turning it down to fit perfect & works . Thing is , I really don't like this Trimmer , I can never get a consistent results using it , even though I used it for many many years , its what I went with a LE Wilson Micrometer Trimmer .

I trimmed about 50 cases & was trying to keep them at 1.705" , Trim to length is 1.700" , max case length 1.715", some still got to 1.698/9" well I must have missed one or measured it incorrectly & at the Range & this is funny , the last round I had with me failed to fire , a very slight indent on Primer , like you normally get just feeding ammo into an Ar 15, which this is . back in the shop , sure enough , this one case was 1.690" a full 0.010" short . Now I'm not sure at what point the case will FTF , but it sure will at 1.690" , which makes sense for a Case that HS on the Case Mouth .

LE Wilson made me a custom Case Holder for my Trimmer for the 350 Legend & its on its way & I will still trim a little over the trim to length , even though the LE Wilson Trimmer trims every case exactly what its set for .
DE7059B9-1CBB-4CB1-988F-CADFD43B5F3F.jpeg

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd like to say that is a fantastic case trimmer.
Thanks , the Case Holder showed up today & works great . I sized my first batch of Fired Cases & out of 24 16 of them were short , not much 1.698/9" ,but will toss them , not going to even chance a FTF , even though they were probably short on the first reloading , they shot good . Also noticed some carbon around the case rims on the short ones , like they were not sealing . The ones ,I think 8 , that needed trimming , I trimmed to 1.705"& all 8 were exactly that . I have a couple of photos of the Case Holder & a cute sticker from LE Wilson I put on the Trimmer .Total cost was $ 27 including the $ 5 shipping .

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Na, I use a rechargeable drill motor , I pump them out quick , sure its not the Giraud , but the drill motor made a big difference , a whole new world then hand cranking . I'm also in no hurry & its a 100 times better & faster then my old RCBS .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts