M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a browning 71 carbine and sold it to get an original Winchester 71. I finally purchased my long awaited Winchester Model 71 deluxe today. I still have my old dies, but I don't have any reloading components. Anyone have a source of ammo or reloading supplies? Midway has brass, but has to bullets available. I guess I will have to get what ammo I can off of gunbroker until someone has reloading components available.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
PM inbound.

There are some components still out there. Hornady makes a 200grn and Barnes has the 250grn JSPs. Brass was the problem for a while, but it's available now, too. Poke around, someone is liable to have bullets somewhere....

I'd love to have a true Winchester 71... they were beautiful rifles!

Reactions: utseabee

·
Registered
359 Posts
tip

When you find components buy all you can afford, it won't get cheaper and it won't get easier to find. Trust me on this one. Also, don't forget about cast bullets, a 250gr cast bullet will do most jobs quite nicely. available from several commercial casters online. Buy brass, then more brass, reload, shoot, repeat!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
My situation regarding 348 opposite of yours in that while living in Alaska had a Winchester 71 std. version, sold it and supplies as well, later on bought Browning 71 but no components. Lucky to come across fine gentleman that had sold his entire collection of 71's(sold to finance his double rifle program) and had as surplus to him lots of commercial ammo, brass, bullets, etc. I bought them all knowing the scarcity of the round. All of this took place several years ago with hunting in mind, but bad knees prevent me from stalking the woods anymore and give me some time to sort through what I do have and will get back with you. As for the 71 rifle I personally consider it the finest deep woods or brush hunting rifle ever made, but that is just me.

PS If you don't hear from me, I get sidetracked sometimes, drop me a PM to wake me up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would recommend Buffalo Arms. Their web page has a wide variety of loading equipment and components for classic order calibers.
+1 for Buffalo Arms. My Winchester 71 is my favorite hunting rifle, I have used it to good effect on big mule deer as well as white tails. Now that I live on the wet side of Washington I am looking forward to taking an elk with it. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used to have a browning 71 carbine and sold it to get an original Winchester 71. I finally purchased my long awaited Winchester Model 71 deluxe today. I still have my old dies, but I don't have any reloading components. Anyone have a source of ammo or reloading supplies? Midway has brass, but has to bullets available. I guess I will have to get what ammo I can off of gunbroker until someone has reloading components available.
ive got ammo for you if your interested

1 - 13 of 13 Posts