M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This idea popped in my head last night... Contacted Shuff and he doesn't do them....

Anyone ever heard of this being done?

·
Registered
334 Posts
McCanns Industries used to do .338 Win and .458 Win. conversions to the M1 Garrand. No conversion for .338 Lapua was offered. I just spoke to them the other day if they still did this and they're not doing it for now. Aparently it is a very time consuming process and when I checked the prices to have it done by McCanns a few years ago, it was somewhere in the $2000.00+ range with your supplied rifle. The rifle had to be in good operating condition as well. They said to check back with them about mid year and they may be doing this work again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks MRB14!

I did say this idea popped into my head last night... LOL!

No way I'd pay $2K for this but it was a thought.

If I do go with .35 Whelen I'll have forget the M14 mag conversion as another member mentioned on a previous post..

Decisions, decisions.... ;)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
besides pressure problems, their is a huge disparity in size between a 338lapua and 30-06 which the M1 was designed for. you need to stick with a 30-06 length cartridge or shorter, and if oyu want an M14 magazine conversion, oyu need to stick with a .308win length cartridge.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The M1 Garrand can handle the pressures of the .338 Win. and .458 Win. just fine with heavy mods to the gas system.

I seen one of these in Africa a few years back in .458 Win and was used as a guide gun by out hunting guide. Real nice guide gun. If McCanns starts to do there conversions again I just picked up a M1 Garrand a few months ago to donate to the cause of having one of these modified for .458 Win. If not, I'll probably have to buy something in .416 Weatherby for the next time I go.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
.35 Whelen!

One of my long time wants has been a Garand in .35 Whelen. I have a SC O3 A3 converted to .35 Whelen and really like the caliber. Even though it's not a long range shooter, for the areas that I hunt a long shot is usually 200 yds. My issue is none of my Garands have bad barrels so I'm pretty much going to go the stripped receiver route. Someday.

·
Registered
23 Posts
a 338 lapua would be too long to function through the garand action wouldn't it...the 338 and 458 win mags have a similar oal to the 06, i think

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
One of my long time wants has been a Garand in .35 Whelen. I have a SC O3 A3 converted to .35 Whelen and really like the caliber. Even though it's not a long range shooter, for the areas that I hunt a long shot is usually 200 yds. My issue is none of my Garands have bad barrels so I'm pretty much going to go the stripped receiver route. Someday.
The .35 is a current interest of mine, too. My buddy's presently building one on a '98 Mauser action from 1910 that's barely long enough. It's a kick-a** caliber, pushes 220 gr bullets at appx 2800 fps. Methinks a CMP repark M1 receiver + some good wood, build parts, and a .35 bbl would make a respectable rifle with one of those adjustable gas plugs. Any tips will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The .35 is a current interest of mine, too. My buddy's presently building one on a '98 Mauser action from 1910 that's barely long enough. It's a kick-a** caliber, pushes 220 gr bullets at appx 2800 fps. Methinks a CMP repark M1 receiver + some good wood, build parts, and a .35 bbl would make a respectable rifle with one of those adjustable gas plugs. Any tips will be appreciated.
Somewhere in my gun magazine pile I have an article on converting a Garand to .35 Whelen.............. I just have to remember which one it is. If I can find it I'll PM you a pdf of it. It really is a great caliber!!

BTW, I just recently came into a pre 64 Mdl 70 that is chambered for .30-06. Story goes that it belonged to a man who had passed and it was being exchanged between brothers. One of the brother's sons took it and a sweet Mdl 97 12 ga. out and shot of all the ammo that was with the guns and then took it over to his uncle's house and stuck both guns behind a water heater. Of course it had been pouring down rain and both gun cases had become heavily soaked with water. So this kid just stuffs the guns back in their cases and put them behind a nice, warm water heater.............where they remained for 6 months. A buddy of my was over talking guns with this guy and saw the gun cases behind the water heater and asked about them. The guy pulled them out and.................the guns had rusted heavily and become stuck in the cases. The cases had to be literally cut off the guns. Bad ju-ju. I got them both for $100 and they are ugly. The bore on the Mdl 70 is totally rusted out. I think that I can take the barrel and have it bored out to .35 and rechambered for the Whelen cartridge. That's my plan anyways.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I can see your thinking, re-rifle and avoid re-barreling and cutting in for the pre-64 extractor. While looking into something else I noticed Tim Shufflin (www.shuffsparkerizing.com) gets .35 cal barrels for some of the Garands and Tankers he builds. Might be worth checking into for the Model 70 if you decide the pits in the rusted barrel make it unsalvageable. I hope the rest of the rifle's still respectable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts