M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,081 Posts
Yes and no. The tracer bullets themselves are no different than regular bullets as far as the barrel. However most tracers are loaded with a hotter burning powder to insure light off, this can shorten barrel life IF you fire thousands of tracers.

· Registered
4,104 Posts
Probably true! Several years ago I used to go out to the M60 range on Ft Lewis to shoot with a buddy of mine who was a WA State National Guard armorer. Back then when guys shooting the M60 had a failure the would just strip the partially consumed belt off the gun and toss it on the ground! We used to come home with sand bags full of brass, expended links and partially loaded belts of live ammo, including tracers. I shot many tracers out of my Hk91's back then.

· Registered
371 Posts
I've never had an issue with them. Shot them in M-240Bs, M-249s, M-4s, and M-14s. They are a little more prone to malfunction, and be careful not to start a fire.

· Registered
1,600 Posts
What is the life span of tracers?
I have a guy selling .308 tracer bullets that were made in 2000.

http://www.naturabuy.fr/100-OGIVES-...8-4-Grammes-FABRICATION-DAG-item-1495276.html
As long as they are stored correctly...kept out of sunlight, around room temperatures and kept from wide swings, low humidity...almost as long as the propellant. I have tracers from the mid '70s to mid '80s that still light off almost all the time, I'd say less than 1% failure rate. 2000 ammo should be 100%.

Check local and state law before buying or shooting, some states outlawed tracers due to fire risks. Disregard, I see you're in France. If you notice, those are new,possibly overruns as they don't have the red tips. The bases do show the metal cap that covers the tracer material. Did I read that ad correctly: 100 M-62 projectiles for €40.00 ($55)?!?! Here in the US average cost is $70-80 (€52-60) per 1000!

· Registered
3,593 Posts
As long as they are stored correctly...kept out of sunlight, around room temperatures and kept from wide swings, low humidity...almost as long as the propellant. I have tracers from the mid '70s to mid '80s that still light off almost all the time, I'd say less than 1% failure rate. 2000 ammo should be 100%.

Check local and state law before buying or shooting, some states outlawed tracers due to fire risks.
Man, Id LOVE to load up some 762 and 556 tracers!

· Registered
256 Posts
What is the life span of tracers?
I have a guy selling .308 tracer bullets that were made in 2000.

http://www.naturabuy.fr/100-OGIVES-...8-4-Grammes-FABRICATION-DAG-item-1495276.html
Yeah, they should be OK, but tracer life span is kinda "iffy". I have tracers that are 25 years old and don't work for a dang anymore. They still fire but don't trace. But then I bought some brand new Federal 5.56 tracers in 2008 and not one in 60 rounds traced. On the other hand I've shot Viet Nam era 7.62 Incendiary and every one flashed. Bottomline, in my experience ammo can last a long time, but tracers-not nearly that long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.