M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking about buying a M1A standard and im wondering how much punch does the recoil have? do they compare to like a shotgun or what........ recoil isnt ganna stop me from buying an m1a but im just wonderin sense i have never shot a 308. before

thanks

-Russel

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
recoil on a M-14 type rifle is somewheres in the neighborhood of 14 lbs. With the gas system the way it is designed, some of the recoil is reduced due to the pressure being used for chambering another round. Would be easier on a M-14 than say on a Rem 700 as there is no gas cystem on the bolt gun.

I've shot with nothing but a T shirt on and yes it can get a bit sore (the next day)if you do a lot of shooting.... but if ya shoot often you get more used to it.....unfortunately I don't get to shoot anywhere as often as I would like or should. :(

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Welcome to the forum Russel,

The recoil of the m1a is not bad at all. it is easy enough that my my 5'5" 115lb girlfriend usally takes over my m1a at the range (not tryin to sound like a wise rump) off hand is even easier. It does kick less than a remington 700 ald (light weight model) but has just a little more felt recoil than my remington 700 pss (heavy model) either way it is way too easy to put 100 to 200 rounds down range (that recoil there hurts the wallet :oops: ) other than that way too much fun to shoot and hope that helps

·
Registered
72 Posts
GO FOR IT!!!!

I have probably in the high 40,000 round count through the one shorty I have and most of that in competition and most of the competition was against people shooting plastic .22s.
I had a muzzle break added to it because it reduced the jump I had to deal with for coming back into the targets , the recoil reduction was a bonus.
If I hadn't been shooting against clocks, I wouldn't have done it simply becuase the gun doesn't need it. If you run 400 rounds with a steel butt plate in an afternoon, you may notice it, but, during a normal session of plinking and playing it just is telling you the action is working.

I just ran about 100 rounds through the standard last weekend while tuning for the postal target and it wasn't anything... but then I think it's fun to shoot my EARLY Benelli M1 Super 90, (about 40,000 rounds of slug and buck through that also in competition) so I may not be the best judge of recoil. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
207 Posts
The recoil is never a problem to me. My IDF M14 has a rubber butt pad. I felt nothing at all.

Compare to SKS (also 7.62), shooting SKS hurts but shooting M14 not. M14-style rifles are well-engineeringed. Don't worry about the recoil. Just load and shoot! :mrgreen:

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
LAWCOP said:
GO FOR IT!!!!

I just ran about 100 rounds through the standard last weekend while tuning for the postal target and it wasn't anything... but then I think it's fun to shoot my EARLY Benelli M1 Super 90, (about 40,000 rounds of slug and buck through that also in competition) so I may not be the best judge of recoil. :mrgreen:
If you can handle the recoil of an EARLY HK/Benelli M1 Super 90,
you can handle just about anything.

That's my favorite shotgun :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Ace:

I am sure everyone will have similar as well as differnt opinions on the subject of recoil... and based on your own build, experience in shooting, etc. I am confident that you will walk away with an opinion all your own...

The M1A is not a light weight rifle and that helps in absorbing some of the recoil, and the gas system helps with that too... overall, I would definitely say less "kick" than from most 12 gauge shotguns (semi or pump) shooting "00" or slugs.

I think Hawk hit it on the head when he said that "...once you get used to it". The first time, I shot the M1A it left some redness on my shoulder but now, I can go through a couple of hundred rounds and not even think about it...

I recently went shooting with a young fellow (new to M1A's), who mainly shot AR's and this person (5'10", slender build) had no problem with the recoil and was having so much fun... it never even came up...

I am sure you will not notice it either... :lol: It's not like some other rifles and calibers that "get your attention in a hurry"... :lol:

Aloha and Have Fun!

Tom O.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The only person I've seen shy away from the recoil of an M1A is a 12 year old girl who weighed about 90 pounds. She's a good shot with a .22LR match rifle and shot the M1A three times putting the first round into the X ring. She started flinching after that. Like Hawk said, the the gas system uses some of the recoil to chamber the next round. Hold the rifle properly and you will not have a problem. If the recoil still bothers you get one of those shoulder pads I see some guys wearing and put a Smith or JP brake on the rifle.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Hawk said:
m14dan said:
It's not bad like Hawk said.
Gee Dan...didn't realize I made it sound bad at all....I'd rather shoot the M-14 over any other battle rifle made :mrgreen:
I think it should have been worded "like Hawk said, it's not bad" as in he's agreeing with you Hawk. I think he's been in TX too long and their form of english is rubbing off on him... J/K Dan :wink:

·
Banned
611 Posts
I did mean it like noexpert said. Sorry about that. I'm a North carolinian who's lived in 3 countries and about 10 states and now in Texas so please excuse my english sometimes. I'm all mixed up sometimes these days. :lol:

At least I'm a southerner! :lol:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Don't worry about the recoil. I have a pin in my shoulder and I generally shoot the M14 wearing a T-Shirt with no problems. I'm sure everyone has a little bit of a sore shoulder the next day. It helps to remind you of the good time you had the day before. "It hurts so good". :)

Go to the full auto board and watch azski's daughted shoot the M60.

Regards

Ox

·
Banned
611 Posts
I kinda like those shoulder hickies too from the butplate being up. I remember a long time ago I had to go to requal on mine in the navy and came home with a good one and I had only been married a few months at the time. I sure heard about that one for a while! Really though they don't hurt a bit. Well as long as you don't get scope bit like I did by it this weekend. I went almost 20 years since doing that and did it with my 14 on my first shot at some prairie dogs this weekend. I didn't have it in my shoulder.
OUCH! The blood flew on that one for sure. Why do noses have to bleed so bad?????

·
Registered
611 Posts
fubar said:
what recoil? from a gas gun it's nothing. those light-weight hunting guns are another story. no weight there to help absorb the recoil.
Oh, Man. I'm with Fubar on that. Put three .300 WinMag rounds through a light-weight Weatherby (sorry, forgot the model) last year and I'll NEVER go through that again...

...I have a Remington Model 700 Police in .300 WinMag and it ain't that bad (there's of course a 3+ lb. difference between the two).

Spike

·
Registered
93 Posts
Milo Maker said:
Gentlemen, If we are going to be concerned with the recoil from the 7.62 NATO round in anything, then we need to put CANDY some where!
Exactly. Unless you are very small or some medical issues you don't need to worry about the recoil of really any rifle on the market today. None of them are gonna hurt you permanantly.

Theo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.