M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came into a little unexpected cash and decided to buy 100 Lapua 308 cases and 100 Berger 168 VLD's to go with them. I don't have them yet, probably next week.

I'm wondering about bullet seating depth and overall case length among other things like how the Lapua brass compares to GGG & LC.

Anyone have experience with these components?

I'll be charging with IMR4895 & CCI#14 primers.

Thanks,

Ole Silver

·
Registered
558 Posts
VLDs are much harder to get shooting good because they need to be set close to the rifling to work well. This sometimes means setting them longer than mag length.

I wont use VLDs in anything but bolt guns, if I do at all. They require effort that can be almost too much than its worth. You will easily use up 100 trying to figure if any setting works at all..

The M14, or mine anyway, prefer a nice pronounced tangent ogive like you find on the Lapua 167 gr Scenars or Sierra 168 SMKs.

Cant say you'll have much luck with them in the 14. Sorry...

Side note, Lapua is pretty fancy brass to use in a 14. 14's eat brass alive. You are going to kill its otherwise good lifespan quickly. I would save it for a bolt gun. You wont reap any real potential from Lapua brass, unless you dont sort cases and you'll still have to size the necks (since some will be out of roundness or dented) and camfer the necks as well...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Its CCI #41 primers, not 14....MCORPS1 But you need large primers like CCI# 34 for 308.... 41's are small primers...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Secant Ogive

Ya Ya Ya.....

I always use the CCI#34 hard primers.

I don't always use my typing fingers well.

I know the M1A will be tough on the Lapua's. I just figured I'd treat myself & I had heard that the VLD's are hard to get set right without OAL in the way of loading into a mag. The secant vs tangent ogive dilema.

I always wanted a Savage model#10 Precision Carbine anyway. Maybe I'll have to go buy one. hehe.....

Thanks,

Ole Silver

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have a Savage 10 FP with HS Precision Stock. Great rifle for the money...

Now you have an excuse to buy one. You have nice Lapua brass and some VLD's you cant let go to waste in a 14....MCORPS1

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roger That!!

I've got plenty of GGG & LC brass as well as a good stock of 168 SMK's & SGK's.

That Model 10 Savage is a sweet bolt.......hmmmm

My tax return!!!! Oh Yeah............

Ole Silver

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
VLDs are much harder to get shooting good because they need to be set close to the rifling to work well. This sometimes means setting them longer than mag length.

The M14, or mine anyway, prefer a nice pronounced tangent ogive like you find on the Lapua 167 gr Scenars or Sierra 168 SMKs.

Side note, Lapua is pretty fancy brass to use in a 14. 14's eat brass alive. You are going to kill its otherwise good lifespan quickly. I would save it for a bolt gun. You wont reap any real potential from Lapua brass, unless you dont sort cases and you'll still have to size the necks (since some will be out of roundness or dented) and camfer the necks as well...
I agree, I did the Lapua Brass Thing for a couple of Years and found that it was like Pearls before Swine, no Benefit whatsoever, I have also found that the SMK Bullet and Heavy Military Brass is as good as it gets in a 14, all the other High End Stuff like Bullets and Brass will only do You any good in a Bolt Gun!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I agree, I did the Lapua Brass Thing for a couple of Years and found that it was like Pearls before Swine, no Benefit whatsoever, I have also found that the SMK Bullet and Heavy Military Brass is as good as it gets in a 14, all the other High End Stuff like Bullets and Brass will only do You any good in a Bolt Gun!
I agee back. 308 LC is harder to come by though these days, though, for me anyway.

I use Winchester almost exclusively for my 14's now. It gets "the full" treatment and aside from that beautiful luster you get on new Lapua brass, my Winchester, once I work it over, is just as good at half the price...

Ive pretty much shot up my 308 LC, but man, that was good stuff....Still use LC in .223 for my AR XTC guns...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This works out for me!!!!

Way to go guys............

You have given me all of the data that I need to rationalize the Savage Mod10 Precision Carbine buy!!

There will be a little work involved, but you have documented the reasons that I need this bolt gun.

I was always on board with it. It's my wife that says I don't need another rifle.

Now I can blame you guys (and me).

Sneaky........................

Ole Silver

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One More Comment - Thanks!!!

I am gonna get a chance to shoot a BAR Safari 338 on Wednesday at the range.

A good friend of mine's father in law bought this Belgian build over 20 years ago and fired it one time. The scope busted his head open and it's been a safe queen ever since.

If I like it, I can get it for $800.00 with the glass. Burris full field.

To me it would be the perfect Elk rifle when I retire in Colorado in a few years.

I've got my M1A shooting real sweet in a JAE for mule, white tail and Antelope.

If I don't like it, I'm gonna buy the Savage Mod #10 precision carbine. $699.99 at Cabela's right now.

I've got a feeling that this Browning is gonna be fun. If I buy it I will post pictures of it & my M1A JAE Gen2. With my Kimber Custom 2, I think I'll have it covered.

Thanks Gents,

Ole Silver

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I always wanted a Savage model#10 Precision Carbine anyway. Maybe I'll have to go buy one. hehe.....

Thanks,

Ole Silver
The 10FP is waaaay high on my ToDo list... right after a new Kahr for carry purposes.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I came into a little unexpected cash and decided to buy 100 Lapua 308 cases and 100 Berger 168 VLD's to go with them. I don't have them yet, probably next week.

I'm wondering about bullet seating depth and overall case length among other things like how the Lapua brass compares to GGG & LC.

Anyone have experience with these components?

I'll be charging with IMR4895 & CCI#14 primers.

Thanks,

Ole Silver

Yes, I've used all components you mentioned (well, except for your initial post on primers, lol), fine products.

I shot a lot of VLDs out of the 14s and my 308 M1s in competition and practice, a few Ks in fact. And countless more in my AR15s. You hear a lot people talk about the jump sensitivity of the VLDs. The 175s I shoot are mag loaded to fit the 14 mags, and they shoot in all my 14s, AR10s, 308 M1s, and bolt guns. Just to be fair, I did have one AR barrel that no matter what I did it did not like the VLDs no matter how I loaded them.

Before you get discouraged by people saying you can't make the VLDs shoot unless they are in the lands, first give them a try. You may want to read this article from Berger for start.

http://02b0516.netsolhost.com/blog1/?cat=9

1 - 12 of 12 Posts