M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey dudes,

I've been pondering the idea of purchasing a new rifle. I have it narrowed down to the 2 boom sticks in the title.

I currently own an SAI M1A Standard and a 1945 SA M1 Garand. I love both, so naturally, I want more! I am going with 308 for caliber similarity and purchasing logistics. I do not think I can go wrong with either choice. The Scout has my attention because of the 18.5" barrel. Why...I don't know, it just does. I don't plan on going through heavy brush where a shorter barrel would be easier to maneuver. The thought of a restored Garand also has my attention. I shot a 30.06 CMP Special and I thought it great. I don't care that is has new commercial parts, it was a beautiful and a great shooting rifle. ,

I know the question asked will be, "what do you plan on using the rifle for?" Easy answer; I plan on shooting it...alot.

Any Pro's and Con's, on either rifle, is greatly appreciated! Please exclude the higher price of the Scout. I know it is more expensive.

Thank You Forum,

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
I guess it depends on how your going to acquire it. If I wanted another Scout, I'd build it one piece at a time with quality USGI parts. Some folks will simply buy a new, current production model.

The Garand probably has more historical appeal........ But again, commercial parts do have some drawbacks.

Hobo

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess it depends on how your going to acquire it. If I wanted another Scout, I'd build it one piece at a time with quality USGI parts. Some folks will simply buy a new, current production model.

The Garand probably has more historical appeal........ But again, commercial parts do have some drawbacks.

Hobo
I looked at building the scout. I created a quick budget (adding cost of parts I would need to build) and it was considerably more expensive than buying a new production SAI. I know a lot of gentleman believe the current SAI rifles are sub-par. Maybe that is true for some, but my Standard has been flawless and has ran without issue. I do not consider new production as a negative. You are correct about the historical appeal of the Garand. Now that I think about it, the appeal is what drives my interest.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
A Scout for sure if for no other reason than the magazine .

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I'm in the same boat and will probably end up with a 14.5-16" 308 AR of some sort. Then I'll have my garand with a criterion barrel in 30-06, my loaded that is bedded in a match stock/scoped, and a handy carbine that's still reasonably accurate. I really wanted to like the scout but it's almost as large as my loaded and once I stuck a scope/wood stock on it almost as heavy. A 308 AR carbine with a pencil barrel and an ACOG will be lighter and more compact which is the hole I want to fill.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in the same boat and will probably end up with a 14.5-16" 308 AR of some sort. Then I'll have my garand with a criterion barrel in 30-06, my loaded that is bedded in a match stock/scoped, and a handy carbine that's still reasonably accurate. I really wanted to like the scout but it's almost as large as my loaded and once I stuck a scope/wood stock on it almost as heavy. A 308 AR carbine with a pencil barrel and an ACOG will be lighter and more compact which is the hole I want to fill.
I had similar thoughts. I had a bad experience with a .556 AR and kicked the platform all together. Then I thought, "I could get back in with a 308 AR." I was able to shoot a DPMS Gen 1. Instantly didn't care for it. Reaffirmed I do not like the AR platform. (Just my opinion, I am not bashing AR's or AR owners. They are excellent weapons.) Thus, my Garand and Scout dilemma.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Go Garand

I'm a big fan of my .308 Mini-G from Shuff's Parkerizing - 16.25" barrel on a .308 Garand.

Its light, well made, and is a very handy size.
+1. While my Garand isn't a Mini-G, it is a 308 tanker built by Clint Fowler on a Winchester receiver and tuned by Tim at Shuffs. It looks slightly different than a Mini-G, but is a jewell to shoot. I understand I'm giving up volume vs a magazine. I suggest saving up and have one of each, the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I really don't understand why folks are treating the mag like its so much better than an en bloc clip. True, the mag has more capacity, but the Garand clip functions more or less like a top loaded mag, and you don't have to extract it when its empty - just push the next one in and go. Plus, at $1 or less per clip vs. $25 and up for an M14 mag, you can stand to have a lot more on hand and discard/lose them without much angst. And as far as weight is concerned, carrying the same amount of .308 on clips vs. steel mags is going to be a lot lighter.

Also, the Garand is, as far as I understand it, 50 state legal.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
I have both & have to say I favor the tanker.

One thing to consider is would you going to end up with two Garands in different calibers? If you go with a tanker you will want a blocking device to prevent loading 30/06 enblocs.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I had similar thoughts. I had a bad experience with a .556 AR and kicked the platform all together. Then I thought, "I could get back in with a 308 AR." I was able to shoot a DPMS Gen 1. Instantly didn't care for it. Reaffirmed I do not like the AR platform. (Just my opinion, I am not bashing AR's or AR owners. They are excellent weapons.) Thus, my Garand and Scout dilemma.
Well then I vote scout. It's more useful.

FWIW this is what I mean by 'AR Carbine':

The LMT MWS is what I really want but unfortunately money does not grow on trees...

What I REALLY want (clutching my lottery tickets right now):

They run about what an LRB build would run depending on parts.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have both & have to say I favor the tanker.

One thing to consider is would you going to end up with two Garands in different calibers? If you go with a tanker you will want a blocking device to prevent loading 30/06 enblocs.
Yes, if I choose to go 308 Garand, I will have 2 M1's: 1 in 30.06 and one in .308. I will purchase the CMP Special RM1308SPCLHRA, http://odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm As I understand, the blocking devise is already installed.

I have also considered the higher volume on of a 20 round mag vs the enbloc clip. To be honest, it does not matter. If something terrible happens, I will grab my Standard and run with it.

I will not complain - this is a good dilemma to have. 1st world issue, I Love my Country.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Go with the M1A Scout. 20 Round magazine. You can upgrade the parts to USGI treeline has them in stock. You can put down more fire power with 20 round magazines. While the M1 Garand is a excellent rifle. The M14 Will always be a step above it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.