M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the feasibility of using .308 brass and resizing it for 6.5 creedmoor. I am starting to load for 6.5 and thought I would run a .308 through the sizing die. It seemed to work. The case neck is a lot longer so it will have to be trimmed. Will the outside of the case neck need to be reamed? Never tried this before so I would like to know if its worth it?
Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
570 Posts
What is the feasibility of using .308 brass and resizing it for 6.5 creedmoor. I am starting to load for 6.5 and thought I would run a .308 through the sizing die. It seemed to work. The case neck is a lot longer so it will have to be trimmed. Will the outside of the case neck need to be reamed? Never tried this before so I would like to know if its worth it?
Thanks
Bob
Bob, go to PX , there is some 6.5 creedmore brass for sale

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just my .02 and worth precisely what was paid for the information. As someone who is forced to produce brass for a obsolete unsupported caliber if there’s a commercial option that always gets my vote. The work involved doing 6.5 from 308/243 isn’t going to be nearly the fight I have but the time involved is still going to make it a far more costly venture then even the most expensive brass available.

I had to make my own 30 Remington brass. The process involves cutting the rim from 30-30 then machining the bases narrower cutting a new rim and beveling the proper extractor groove. Then fireforming that brass using pistol powder and a wad trimming it to length thus loosing powder and primer to make each case as well.

ETA: The above is prior to ever getting a proper cartridge to actually be able to load for the rifle.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I don't need more 6.5 brass at this time, I was just wondering if it was feasible.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I wouldn't mess with it, to be honest. You've have to size it in the 308 die, then trim to length, chamfer and deburr, then your necks will be too thick, so you'll need to use an expander mandrel to expand the inside diameter to the correct diameter, then turn the necks down to the correct thickness.

I had to make my own 30 Remington brass. The process involves cutting the rim from 30-30 then machining the bases narrower cutting a new rim and beveling the proper extractor groove. Then fireforming that brass using pistol powder and a wad trimming it to length thus loosing powder and primer to make each case as well.
Instead of fireforming (and using now hard to get primers and powder), would hydroforming the cases be an option for you?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts