M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to start shooting long range. what is the best scope for the $? I cant afford a $1,500.00 $2,000.00. I know you get what you pay for. I just cant afford it right now. I would like a .308 bdc, don't need a lighted redicle. Just don't have a clue, any help would be deeply appreceated! Thanks Threerope.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
if you want to shoot long range dont get a bdc. get a scope with mil or moa adjustments. reason i say dont get bdc is for the simple fact they are almost never correct. it all 1 round 1 environment that the manufacture has chosen (usually their environment) like i said, get a moa or mil adjust scope and if you want a bdc you can use some kind of paint for when you get your zeros for the ranges just make a small dot. instant bdc for your round and your environment.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I agree that most BDC scopes don't account for the specific trajectory of any certain cartridge but Nikon has a ballistics program called SpotOn that will allow you to enter your ballistics info and then it produces corrected aiming information. The corrected info will show the ranges for the different aiming points. If you buy a BDC scope then I'd look at Nikon, otherwise I'd stick with a Mil Dot style scope.

Reactions: GARRARD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whats the difference between the mil and moa? I know that moa stands for Minute of angle. Thanks bdc is out. Is there any manufacture you would recomend? thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that most BDC scopes don't account for the specific trajectory of any certain cartridge but Nikon has a ballistics program called SpotOn that will allow you to enter your ballistics info and then it produces corrected aiming information. The corrected info will show the ranges for the different aiming points. If you buy a BDC scope then I'd look at Nikon, otherwise I'd stick with a Mil Dot style scope.
Plan on going with mil, or moa. any suggestions for scopes?

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
how much are you willing to spend? vortex is good to go. moa is roughly 1" at 100 yards and mil is roughly 3.6 at 100. most moa scopes are .25 moa adjust while mil are 1/10 adjust

·
Registered
763 Posts
Vortex Vipers and Vortex Viper PST are very good mid range scopes. I picked up a leupold mark 4 2.5 x 8 MRT with illumination for 800 barely used.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
i am testing the redfield counterstrike. it has a tac moa reticle with lines in 2moa increments at 9x mag.

it comes with bdc knobs for 168gr .308 @such and such fps and 55gr .223 at x fps

the knobs adjust in 1/4 moa and are marked 100- 500 yards.

its awesome so far.

·
13,515 Posts
i am testing the redfield battlezone it has a tac moa reticle with lines in 2moa increments at 9x mag.

it comes with bdc knobs for 168gr .308 @such and such fps and 55gr .223 at x fps

the knobs adjust in 1/4 moa and are marked 100- 500 yards.

its awesome so far.

all for around 200 with a leupold lifetime warranty. not bad.

glass is on par for this price level.

·
13,515 Posts
here is the dial that comes with the 3-9x redfield battlezone. the .223 is installed and you have to swap it

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have two Zeiss Conquest scopes with the Rapid Z-800 reticle and I love them. Zeiss has a program on their website where you can enter your load, your conditions, etc.. and it will tell you what power to set the scope on so the hold over lines are correct. I also put the iStrelok app on my iphone and it does the same thing as the Zeiss program. The Rapid Z-800 has 2 MOA marks on the upper cross hair so you can range at the highest power of the scope. I like these scopes for quick and dirty ranging and quick "minute of man" hold overs as well as really nice glass for the money. These scopes work great out to about 600 yards; if you want extreme precision, you might want a Mil-dot/TMR type reticle with good turrets.

SWFA still has a few of the Conquest scopes for sale on their sample list for around $400-500.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
What sort of rifle are you putting it on (I am guessing an M1A?) and how much can you realistically spend? Also what sort of shooting is 'long range'?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a Nikon monarch bdc 2.5x10x42 on my m1a n love it.i used the spot on website and printed it out and taped the trajectory print out to my stock. Great product it was 500 bucks. I use it for hunting in NH and its been great look at the monarch u won't be disappointed

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts