M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for good 30 round mags, does anyone have any recomendations?

Thanks,

Rchjr

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I would suggest you buy only one 25 or 30 round mag and try it before you buy too many. Personally I don't even like the 25 rounders, to me they make my rifle off balance and are more cumbersome to fool with.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I would suggest you buy only one 25 or 30 round mag and try it before you buy too many. Personally I don't even like the 25 rounders, to me they make my rifle off balance and are more cumbersome to fool with.
+1 on the above advice. I too find the 25rd mags a little cumbersome. Hard to use in the prone position, and awkward/unbalanced in the standing position. 20 rds downrange is a pretty deadly combination. The extra 5rds in a mag won't make it any better. All I can say is try it, and see if it's to your liking. If you go that route, get only the CMI's. dozier

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the replies, I will check them out from the 44 mag company.

Again thanks!

Rchjr

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
if you are going to go with a hi cap mag, dont get anything more than a 25 rounder. the 30s are too big and heavy and they will malfunction on you.

CMI makes a 25 rounder and they are just as good as their 20 rounders. the gun was designed for a 20rd box for a reason though. as you can see in my pic, the extra 5rds makes the gun a bit off balance. it works ok with a bipod and is nice to have if you are going to just carry just one mag........but you DO notice a difference in weight and balance. dont even think about puting a 30rd mag on your gun. if you want to do the whole rapid fire thing........just go all out and get a drum mag.

PS.......this is a 25rd mag in the picture. hope this helps. i do like the mag. it is nice to have (especially if another 'ban' comes)......however i will only be owning one for the time being.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Another 5 rounds of 7.62 is a lot of weight not to mention 10. A rifle I bought came with a 25 and I never use it. In addition, I really don't like the idea of that much weight hanging on my op rod spring guide etc. The extra weight at that extended moment sure makes the balance different. If putting 20 rounds downrange isn't enough to at least buy me the time to change mags, well I'm probably screwed anyway. Just my .02 GI1

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Another 5 rounds of 7.62 is a lot of weight not to mention 10. A rifle I bought came with a 25 and I never use it. In addition, I really don't like the idea of that much weight hanging on my op rod spring guide etc. The extra weight at that extended moment sure makes the balance different. If putting 20 rounds downrange isn't enough to at least buy me the time to change mags, well I'm probably screwed anyway. Just my .02 GI1
I am not trying to get off track too much, and really can't advise the OP on a source for 30 rd. mags,....but, I would take the quote above one further, and say that if the ten round mag that comes with the rifles from Springfield, were not enough to give me enough breathing room to displace, evac, or hit a reload.......well, then you are correct Sir, you are in big trouble anyway, and are probably not gonna make it......My philosophy is the rule of thumb......Stick your thumb up at arms length, try to cover the threat with it, if you can't, you are too close and need to get some rounds downrange to keep their heads down while you displace....or as my ole Nam buddy Tommy Holliman would say....
" We need to be findin us some yonder" DI5

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Hey rchjr: check out the group buy(actually a feeler for a group buy in The Firing Line), you only need to buy two. This is a good deal, we need to get the required minimum to make it work!

·
Registered
78 Posts
My philosophy is the rule of thumb......Stick your thumb up at arms length, try to cover the threat with it, if you can't, you are too close and need to get some rounds downrange to keep their heads down while you displace....or as my ole Nam buddy Tommy Holliman would say....
" We need to be findin us some yonder" DI5
I Like it ! GI1

The suggestion to get a couple CMI 20's in the group buy is a good one. IMHO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts