M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can tell me if the brass in the following pics is the corrosive Chinese faked LC 52 or the real deal USGI stuff. What bother's me about it is the primer. I've never seen a copper colored primer in any of the real LC .30 carbine I've fired. The brass is boxer primed though. The other thing that causes me to pause is the color of the case itself, it's a lot more "copper" colored than a reg. LC case. In the following pics, the case on the left is the one in question, the one on the right is LC used for comparison. Thanks,

Art

·
Registered
94 Posts
...if I had to venture a guess, I'd say the one on the left is Chinese.

It's got that "reddish" tint to it. Plus there a lot of scuttlebutt that the ChiCom .30 Carb ammo ALL has this '52 marking.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?11384-Chinese-30-carbine-ammo

P.S.
...knowing the China-man and his low degree of honesty in goods for sale, betcha that primer is corrosive. Hell, the China-man added poison chemicals to its own baby formula just to boost protein levels for marketing/sales, but killed hundreds of babies in China as a result..just saying...

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Pull a Bullet and see if it is Berdan Primed, if it is It's Chinese!

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Affirmative, on the left is chinese, I had some.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did pull a bullet and it is definitely Boxer primed. So, if it's not Berdan primed then it's for sure USGI LC? I've just never seen the copper colored primer in a USGI LC .30 carbine round before, has anyone else?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Could it be reloaded?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The only American carbine brass I've seen with a primer that looks like that is a box of Frankfort Arsenal test and reference cases. They do look an awful lot like corrosive primers, never have loaded or fired any to see what happens...

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I'm not sure I'd use the copper color as a criterion. I have a batch of 30-06 LC 68 Match cases that will gradually assume that color after tumbling. It takes a couple of years, but they definitely change. None of my other cases do that.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
The only American carbine brass I've seen with a primer that looks like that is a box of Frankfort Arsenal test and reference cases. They do look an awful lot like corrosive primers, never have loaded or fired any to see what happens...
All US Carbine Ammo ever made was Non Corrosive!ICONWINK

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for all the input. I'm beginning to think this stuff is not corrosive due to it being Boxer primed and after looking at the pics of the Chinese LC 52 headstamp as compared to the USGI LC 52 stamp. My brass headstamp looks a lot closer to the LC stuff than the Chinese crap. If you look at the "52" you'll notice that the numbers on my brass are close together and the font just looks like the real deal. The Chinese font looks different to me and the numbers "5 and 2" are spaced farther apart. Since I have 120 rounds of this stuff, I'd really like to use it, and think I will now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
All US Carbine Ammo ever made was Non Corrosive!ICONWINK
You are correct, however these cases were made for use in arsenal test equipment only, and I'm thinking they could be corrosive. I remember reading something years ago that the french made corrosive carbine ammo (figures), and a few experimental lots were loaded at FA with corrosive primers. The box they came in has the primer data on it, it's a WC primer, but I have no reference to find out anything out about it. I should pop one on to a steel surface and see what happens..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts