M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Rem 788 in 30-30 in the safe for awhile now , picked it up used and have not fired it yet , looking for some one who has loaded some ammo for a bolt action 30-30 , yes I checked to loading books...but would like to know what works best for light to med game........was thinking about some 125grn PSP....?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Jack, Have you chrono'd your loading? Seems to me it ought to be a decent round for deer. Also seems to me it'd shoot flatter than most .30-30 loads assuming it's a little faster than a RN loaded over the same charge weight. I've figured- by my own version of logic- that it should be somewhere between most .30-30's and .303British, but I've been wrong before.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Use the same loads as for the usual rifles (tubular mags) to start with. IMR 3031 is still your best choice. Other than to say where to start and work the load up, all I can venture is some thoughts about bullets. I had a 30 30 handi rifle for a short while, I'm not fond of the particular chambering combo- I'm not satisfied with the quality control- BUT, in the event you can utilise spire points in the 30 30 I would urge you to stick with 150s., It's just not at home with the heavier bullets, I saw less accuracy and no benefit with 170s at all. There are excellent 150s, so why? You have several excellent 150 spire points to pick from.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.