M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the need for a set of 30.06 dies to use on my 550 to load up ammo for a newly acquired 03A3 I looked at Dillon and I know they are good dies my .308 and 9MM ones are from them but things are a little tight this time of year so I am looking at a lesser alternative, I have looked at Lee and not really interested and Redding is almost as high as Dillon at $65 so that kind of leaves RCBS and Hornady. The RCBS ones look ok and the Hornady look really well made but I have heard some say the Hornady seater does some weird things when seating ? some have reported deep rings around the bullet

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I use the RCBS full length dies. Good to go for my Garand and Model of 1917.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Hornady all the way Outstanding value/performance/customer service(your fault there fault they will replace it free for life)
I have never had an issue with there seater dies in .308, 30-06 and about 15k worth of 5.56

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I use the RCBS full length dies. Good to go for my Garand and Model of 1917.
Ditto!! For my Garands and 03's. Mine's a set that I bought used about 20 year ago and they're still going strong.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw where the seater and crimp are the same on the Hornady I am used to a separate crimp die are they hard to set up ?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I used to be an RCBS die guy, but I switched to Hornady. The limitation on the Hornady dies is the seater retainer C-clip, they are prone to breaking the small tab that sticks out. If you get them, order about 10 extras.

I like the elliptical shaped expander and I like the machined wrench flats in the dies, Hornady offers a fitted wrench that fits all the dies and is worth the cost.

I don't have any problems with the crimp function, you cannot get heavy handed with it or it will cut a small brass ring off the brass (the handgun dies do the same, too.) I use either a taper or LFC die on all my rounds so it doesn't matter to me.

The Hornady dies are very nice, nicely finished and worth consideration. I still pick them over RCBS but probably not over Redding.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Keep and eye out on Ebay for Bonanza Bench Rest dies. They are absolutely the best dies money can buy. The sizer button that does the neck is in a different location on the stem so the neck is fully supported when it pushes through and pulls out. The seater is a true bench rest type and works similar to a vickerman except that the bullet enters the die on the bottom instead of through a hole in the die body. A 30-06 set ought to be had used for around $25 or so. Just be sure to get "bench rest" dies as they also make the bench rest sizer with a standard seater and people often buy those by mistake. Bonanza (Forster) still sells them new but they are ghastly expensive. Parts are available through Forster. The older used ones are the way to go. RCBS dies are OK as are all the others but the Bonanza are the Rolls Royce of rifle dies. In pistol dies I wouldn't buy them as they are much like pre-carbide RCBS's. I have RCBS for a couple of calibers, Dillon in 5.56 and a lot of my pistol calibers. However, I have Bonanza's for the bulk of my rifles and prefer them. My tests indicate that accuracy is a bit better with them than the RCBS standard's and bench rests that I tried them against.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
30-06 dies

I have RCBS and Lee dies. Both are excellent dies but I use the Lee dies all the time. They are less expensive, work fine and it was easy to remove a stuck case from the Lee (my fault, I failed to use correct shell-holder) not so much with RCBS.
"T"

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I am using the same RCBS dies I got when I started loading 35 years ago. No problems, though I think next time I will go with Hornady as I really like tapered expander.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am using the same RCBS dies I got when I started loading 35 years ago. No problems.
RCBS Dies here also been reloading about that long, have RCBS Competition dies made some time ago also, they came in a nice wooden box with the caliber branded on the end . Never had any problems. RCBS customer service back then was awesome (I'm sure it still is good) and Huntington Die Specialties (special dies), they made special seat dies. CH Tool made carbide decapping assemblies, taper crimp dies. You will be happy with the RCBS dies and will give you many years of service. There was one thing I was taught ages ago, "if you take care of your equipment, it will take care of you" ,I have dies that are 30+ years old and look like they are brand new. Also have a few sets of Pacific (aka Hornady now) in .30, .357 Herrett, while they are good still like the RCBS dies
Bonanza-Forster Dies are great and as noted are costly and worth the price.

-Rock

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I can't recall the last time I went into a gun shop or to a gun show and didn't find a used set of RCBS 30-06 dies for under $20 , usually $15 or $10. I bought mine used over 25 years ago , they came in a light green cardboard box , and have done many thousands of rounds since. Plus RCBS will polish , repair or replace any dies , no matter how old. Don't forget Ebay and Gunbroker.com.

I avoid Lee dies like the plague. Don't overlook Pacific (Hornady) , C-H , Herters(made by Redding) , Lyman , P-W.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I use my RCBS dies for reloading .30-06 but I rummaged through my stuff and found a set of CH .30-06 dies that I picked up when I bought out a guys reloading set up several years ago. I'll have to try them out!

·
Registered
622 Posts
To be honest most of the standard die sets are pretty much the same. The Lee and RCBS dies will do the same thing as the Redding. Redding dies are very nice with better polishing and detail work. I would go the the Lee route if saving money, but you won't be disappointed with the RCBS dies, they are very well made and customer service is awesome. I don't recommend the Hornady just because of the issues my father has had with his, he ended up with RCBS and never looked back. Of coarse if your just loading for the '03 you can get by with a neck sizer and a good seating die as well...
I love the Forster BR dies but they cost a little more. I buy mine from www.gunstop.com

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I agree that most all brands of dies are decent. I have two sets of dies for my '06 - Lee and Hornady Custom. I use the Lee set for my Garand loads and they suit my needs there just fine. Only use the Hornadys when I'm loading for my bolt hunting rifles. I really can't tell any difference in the sizing dies, both size the cases with miniscule runnout. The Hornady Custom seating die does a better job in seating the bullets straight with the cases but the Lee doesn't do any worse than any other brand die without the floating sleeve, like the Hornady Custom has, to keep case and bullet aligned.

If I crimp (rarely), I use the Lee Factory Crimp die. I found it best to not try to crimp during the seating operation.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I found a used Dillon set I am bidding on and I hope to get them for about $50 to my door

1 - 20 of 20 Posts