M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be having a run of bad luck with some of my 3 liter hydration backpack bladders. The issues seem to be leakage where the hose comes out of the bladder. I have removed, lubricated and replaced the fittings and there is still seepage around the bladder penetration.

Can you recommend a good quality, durable replacement bladder?

Thanks,

Hobo

·
Banned
160 Posts
Camelbak....I've used them for years with great success. I also like the fact that they have really wide openings so it's easy to fill up with ice.

Very Durable units.

Reactions: tonyben

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Camelback work best.

I just get the Ozark trail one at Walmart.

I don't think it's good to use those bladders for long.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Been cycling with Camelbak bladders since the mid 90's and never had one leak on me (except for that time I forgot to tighten the cap). Their new ones are even better than what I currently run.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Camelbak. I've had the same bladders for close to six yrs. They have been on more missions than I can count. The only time I've had issues is when I don't put the cap on right. If you want a bullet proof bladder look at the msr bladder. I have 2 10qts and they are pretty awesome. Don't forget about the collapsible 2qt canteens can be had with a drinking tube also and are durable.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
There's Geigerrig, a system which can be pressurized and shoots water into your mouth, which is somehow more refreshing than having to suck it out. Highly regarded by people who have lived off them:

http://sheepdogtactical.ca/index.php/sheepdog-blog/entry/geigerrig-hydration

http://sheepdog-tactical-inc.myshopify.com/collections/geigerrig/products/geigerrig-hydration-engine

And these are the military version of the Source hydration systems. They are antibacterial and antigunk- stuff won't grow inside them, also these milspec ones are CBRN capable. Made and used in Israel, where you know they need water.

http://source-military.com/

I can recommend either system. They both come with insulated tube housings, which keep water from either heating up or freezing in the system.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked up the 3 liter Camleback, slipped it into a new Maxpedition Falcon 2 backpack. Spent the day hiking in the Oregon Coast Range. I had filled it with both ice and water. It filled easy with the wide opening and was easy to put cubes of ice into it.

The feed tube fits into the bladder with an "O" ring seal. That is the first time I have used a mouth piece with a built in, manual shut off valve. Certainly takes the worry out about the mouthpiece allowing water to leak out while it is in a vehicle.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check the other's out as the occasion arises.

My wife tried it and has now added a Camelback to her wishlist.

Hobo

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I have two packs that have a camelback that came with them and not a single issue since I've been using them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
water bladder

msr makes a line of different sized bladders;very durable and with the water-works /msr water filter it can screw directly to large opening and pump directly into bladder.the opening is the same size as a nalgene bottle. I have never had a leak issue. hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Bringing this back to the top.

I've been using Camelbaks pretty much since they came out and the only problem I've ever had is forgetting to clean them after usage only to grab them once stuff has grown inside. These days I have the newer style with the quick connects and was wondering if anyone had tried hooking up the Geigerrig Virus Filter with any luck. I'd rather not spend another $50 for yet another bladder.

Silly me went and grabbed the Camelbak in line filter without reading the fine print of it not really filtering out anything aside from things that affect taste.

·
Registered
272 Posts
+1 on Camelbak. Source bladders have leaked all over the place several times after harder use, Camelbaks are more durable overall.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
1 - 20 of 23 Posts