M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, Texas size Thank You to MemphisMachinist.

I had the opportunity to sit down and chat with MemphisMachinist over some coffee when I passed by Memphis on the way back to Texas. I picked up the 2nd reamed FH from him.

The first reamed FH was installed in my number 2 gun. To date I have close to 1K rounds thru the rifle since the reamed FH was installed. The rifle is stable, no cold bore shot issue and the zeros have been solid and the grouping capability is excellent, typical of any Obermeyer barreled rig.

Today, I installed the 2nd reamed FH in my number 1 gun, a double lugged 11 twist Krieger. It is risky every time you mess with something that is not broke especially this is the rifle I shot high service rifle in the Texas high power championship and in the Arkansas high power match. Actually, I did not shoot my number 1 gun at Perry because the rifle is sort of illegal - external mod. The previous owner had the sight base on the FH machined so it is flush with the base of the front sight. For ease of front sight replacement I suppose. I did not want to take the chance of getting protested for the mod, so I wanted to change the FH anyway.

Number 1 gun always exhibited cold bore shot at 10 o'clock. Shooting it with the reamed FH, the first shot end up in the middle of the 20 shot gorup I fired just to see how the rifle behaves before I adjusted the front sight centered to the rear sight MZ. This is just one data point, not conclusive at all. I intend to validate the cold bore shot for the next few months.

As far as grouping, the initial 20 shot group with the reamed FH is within the normal grouping capability of the rifle in its previous config.

Unfortunately I had to leave the range unexpectedly I was not able to take picture of the group. I did take some pictures of the reamed FH. I used a fired 308 case for scale to illustrate how big the hole is.

·
Premium Member
20,442 Posts
Looks great and thanks for the report.
I was married just outside Memphis in Millington Tenn. 45 years ago today.
Semper Fi
Art

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My friend from Kerrville machined an alignment tool for me to make sure the large mouht FH is in there on the same axis as the bore. I put it to good use right away when I got home tonight from the range.

Thanks Art!!!

BTW, number 1 still shoots as good as it ever did if not better since the large mouth FH was installed

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Looks like nice work (kudos to Memphis).
I have reamed flash hiders on all 6 of my guns. They have come from various sources through the years.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have some of each. Some of mine are from the 1980's and I believe that those are the tapered ones.
Ol' Hook did one and it was straight (I think that is the only reamer he has).
I got a couple done by another forum member and I will have to check those.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have some of each. Some of mine are from the 1980's and I believe that those are the tapered ones.
Ol' Hook did one and it was straight (I think that is the only reamer he has).
I got a couple done by another forum member and I will have to check those.
Please share with us your real world experience with the differently reamed FH.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
The way it's been explained to me was the Army liked the tapered reamer better because it didn't chatter. That was like 1965. I'd figure today's high-tech hardened bits are good enough a straight one should be fine. None of 'em will be cheap, count on that.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Field Test After 3 Matches

I've shot the reamed FH in 3 Regional matches, only reduced courses though, 200 and 300. Though still a small sample of the integrity of the reamed FH, I thought I'll share how the rifle is doing. I have not won any matches with it, there is this younger gentleman who has been giving us lessons in humility. He has been shooting solid 790s in the reduced courses.

Today I had time to spend better part of the day on the range. Temperature was not too bad, only got up to slightly over 100. The targets were shot at 200 yards on the SR target.

First up is 3 strings of sitting rapid. I shot this after shooting 40 shots standing. As you can see the rifle with the straight thru reamed FH is holding the accuracy. The nut behind the trigger just needs to get with the program and quit jerking the tirgger.

This next picture is shot mounting the scope on the rifle. The mount is very repeatable for all practical purposes. First shot is the lonely shot on the 10 line down low. Clicked up and fired a group. This is the same ammo I used in sitting rapid. Next group, the one on left, I moved the scope to get away from the first group. This was fired with my 185 Berger load, while the other was with 155s.

The large mouth FH has not degraded the grouping capability of the rifle. Still a small sample, but promising nonetheless. I will know more in the next few months. Just a quick update for those who wonder how the large mouth does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.