M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm am going to buy a bolt gun this year and I have been bouncing around on which caliber. Anyways, my original intent is a hunting/target that has more power and better range the our 308. I have looked at 300WM, 7RWM and 30-06 and just about everything in between. I have excluded the calibers with low barrel life the 6mm Mags and very high recoil like the 300-338 magnums at this point. I was almost set on the 30-06 until I started reading about the 280. Which has all the benefits of the 06 case but with a superior 7mm bullet.
And especially, the 280 Ackley Improved (SAAMI version).

My question is, does anyone has any experience with a Rem 280 or 280AI and what are your thoughts.

I do reload and that is one of the reasons why this cartridge intrigues me.
The problems is there are only a few production rifles that camber this round, ie. Nosler and Kimber. I'm not that concerned with ammo availability. I'm just curious is anyone has a new SAAMI chamber 280AI and how has the reloading process gone.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
The Rem. 280 cartridge has really never caught on with lots of shooters but that is a shame for it is a superb hunting round as you have figured out. Have read that often times fine rifles built by members of the American Gun Builders Guild are chambered in the caliber and those rifles are of highest quality. I am not a fan of the Ackley Improved versions of different calibers and not that they do not perform well, but from what I have seen the gain is something on the order of 5% improvement. Since you reload and would have no problem producing rounds/cases for the AI is a plus, but to me the extra effort vs the std. 280 is not worth the effort, but that is just me. In any quality action with reloads you can get performance with the base 280 that is close to magnum performance if that is desired. In the event you were planning on long range shooting, 6-1000yds, that extra "oomph" of the AI may be a slight advantage but doubt that such shooting is going to be your normal use of the rifle?? As you noted there are not that many sources for factory rifles in AI chambering and the std. 280 can be found easier. Remington certainly offers the 280 and might check out Browning A Bolt or Win. Mod. 70. Would mention that the Browning A Bolt is not that popular, but it is a fine shooting rifle and good value for the dollar. Either way you go that 280 AI or otherwise is a fine round.

·
Registered
13,112 Posts
My favorite caliber is 7x64. I have owned factory rifles from Brno, Sako and Ruger in that chambering, and have always been impressed. I believe Remington , Savage and H&R have also made limited runs. It is the standard hunting chambering for everywhere in the world except the US. RNGR3

Every European rifle manufacturer chambers for it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the posts.
I'm going to take a look that 6.5-06 I missed that one.
There's is conflicting information for the 280ai but it appears regular 280 factory ammo will work just fine in the AI version. Although it sounds like the accuracy suffers a little.
That 7x64 is essentially the same round. It just like several other rounds that never really took off.

·
Registered
892 Posts
No expert but, when you shoot non -ai brass in an AI chamber you are essentially fire forming brass (conforming it to the chamber). There does seem to be a little more to it than that as you can just end up with deformed brass (bad shoulders).

The AI are all steep shoulder angle cases. Just more powder.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Have you considered the 6.5-284?

I have a .280 and use it for elk hunting. It's a Ruger M77 with tang safety. I have not been able to put five rounds in the same hole, but she does 1/2" groups at 100 yards with Nosler 140 & 150 grain ballistic tip bullets.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I sold my .280 A.I. to Col. K.. He used it to win the Wimbledon Cup a few years ago. That gun is a hammer. Easy to form brass or you can buy A.I. brass. Easy to load for too. The first time I shot it at 600yds, I shot 7 consecutive X's that could be covered with a quarter. In a pinch, you can shoot regular .280 rem. in the A.I. too.
I have a 6.5-06 that is a hammer also. It is the ballistic twin of the 6.5-284. The 6.5-06 will feed reliably. I had feed issues with my 6.5-284.
That said, I usually single loaded these rifles.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have looked at the 6.5's but it seems they have a fairly low barrel life. Plus I'd like to still be able to load the heavier bullets. And I would still like to have some factory ammo available. Granted 280 rem is a little obscure.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I built one on a donor Savage Model 111 action, bought the barrel from Schilen, put it in a PDC custom chasis and that rascal shot lights out.

But...........it took 61gr of powder and magnum primers to push the 168gr berger VLDs in brass that I had to FF or buy factory 280rem and shoot at $30/box first. The recoil was very noticeable and it was a long action. Felt like i was gonna pull the bolt through my teeth when shooting prone.

Sold it and went with the 6.5 creedmore so far I'm loving it, great ballistics, short action, good barrel life, did I say great ballistics GI2. If you go the 280 way PM I'm sue I've still got some components aroud

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have not hunted in years but I would choose the caliber that best suits the terrain I was going to hunt in. Brush? open prairie?, mountain tops, cold, hot etc. I wish I could find the article but there was this guy, some kind of reloading guru- anyway he swore by the 270- he confidently shot water buffalo, moose, elk, deer, just about anything and only changed his load. If I can find the article I will post it. It was from long range as well--the moose was shot at something like 400yds. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, 270 is a consideration, it's the same round except for the 6.8mm bullet. They both use the 30-03 parent case. Its by far a lot more prevalent.

And PKrobbins that was a nice gun. If I do end up picking one up I'll be looking for components. Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts