M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use this caliber? I'm trying to lay in some components right now, I have IMR4350 and primers as well as some 243 brass I was thinking of necking up. Just wondering if I should be focusing on 120gr or 140gr bullets. It is a 22" 8 twist bull barrel and I want to use it at 600 and 1000.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Have shooting friends that like very much your caliber choice for NRA Long Range matches, 600-1000yds. It is kind of like a little cousin to the 284/6.5 which is an excellent long range round. Not seen often these days for long range, but the lowly 6.5x55 Swede was in it's day a winner at long range matches and the 260Rem. is an improvement from that round. As mentioned I would opt for the heavier bullet and with that twist should perform very well and won't be so "nervous" in the wind. The 284/6.5 is a superior performance round but at a cost of barrel life and the 260Rem. is more forgiving in that department. Not sure, but believe the 22" barrel is on the short side, would prefer 26", but that is just what I am used to using or even longer. (You can not use the short barrel for excuses in not shooting X's for I already do that.) I am so heavy into 308 for long range purposes but if I were to change over it would be the 260Rem.
Good luck.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Using the 139 grain Scenars for my .260. Have shot the 140 grain hybrid Bergers, which work very well, but, need to remove the 0.10 thick plate in AI magazines to make them fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts