M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
NSR
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Finally got a decent picture of the Montana action/Pac-Nor Barreled .250 Savage Ackley Improved. I'm impressed with the rifle...to say the least.

Pac-Nor barreled the Montana 1999 action with a Remington Varmint taper barrel and fluted the action. It came out really nice and "hangs" really well.
Steve Nelson (Nelson's Custom) did the stock and bedding.

The darn thing wants to shoot really well even while fire forming. See my pic in the other post.

I like the little cartridge. A lot of performance in a small package. Haven't chrono'd yet. Saved some fire formed loads to test and chrono when I get the improved cases loaded...so I can see what the comparison is...

Right now the rifle will plunk them in the same hole if I do my part.

Target pics and chrono data on the next range trip. Thanks for your patience.

Semper Fi,

Wes

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Wes,
I know I'm talking apples and oranges here, because I'm chambering an M14 type, and your's is a bolt gun, but I'm in the process of trying out the 6XC and I did a quick web search and see that they say your .250 AI is good for 3200 when loaded hot. at that speed I'm thinking it's ballistic performance must be pretty impressive. Hows the availability of high quality bullets in .250? I'm wondering, are they hard on barrels like some of the other overbore cartridges? very nice setup there.

·
NSR
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gents,

High Voltage...I'm assuming that you want the .308 case beside the .250 AI blown out casing? I'll try to get that done in the next day or so.
Velocity of the little round IS impressive. I'm thinking 3,150 to 3,200 FPS with the 100 grain SMK. Time will tell.

As far as comparing it to the .257 Weatherby it can't match it. It just lacks the powder capacity. The .250 Savage A.I. is far more efficient and that's where you gain velocity. The Weatherby cartridge is badly overbored.

If you're looking for a hot .25 look at the .25 Souper (.25/08) or the .257 Roberts in either the standard or Ackley Improved version. Lots of great choices.

Jgun...the 6XC is a dandy cartridge. Lot's of bullets available. Bullet availability with the .25's is spotty, at best. Lots of varmint weight bullets. Sierra makes a 100 grain Match King(shoots very well) and JLD makes a very low drag bullet design that weighs 108 grains. They are expensive, at about $.43 cents each. I believe Berger offers some bullets as well. Needless to say you don't have the selection in .25 you get with the other calibers.

The .250 Savage A.I. is about as perfect a ballistic match as you can get. Cases come out of the chamber cool to the touch. Something you can't say about the other larger/over bored cartridges.

Hope this helps you gents a bit...

I'm sold on the little .250 Savage A.I.

S/F,

Wes

·
Banned
844 Posts
Thank you Wes.

I have been reading a lot about the .257 Weatherby, and I have read more that the barrel and chamber are not taxed as bad as people have feared them to be. A lot of gun experts say it just isn't true. Shooting it a lot - it would still last longer than most would need the barrel replaced. That is what I have read more of by gun people.

Apparently Roy Weatherby never got a barrel returned for replacement by anyone that shot a little or a lot.

I have always thought about the Ackley Improved as close to the .257, but it is a lot smaller? Just wanting to see that round next to a .308.

Thanks again!

·
NSR
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
High Voltage,

Here's the picture of the .308 and the .250 Savage Ackley Improved. Note how much the blown out case looks like the .308, but is slightly shorter. Case capacities are similar.

The .308 will take about 45 to 46 grains of Varget and the .250 Savage A.I. will take about 40 grains. Not a lot of difference.

Hope this helps. Here's the picture:

Semper Fi,

Wes

·
NSR
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
High Voltage,

You may be thinking of the .257 Roberts AI. It's an excellent cartridge in it's own right and will do what the .25/06 will do. Another AI Humdinger!

The Weatherby is a darn fine .257 and will last a normal hunter several lifetimes. It IS a barrel eater, tho'. I'd say about 1,500 rounds and it's accuracy potential is toast.

Time will tell about the .250 AI, but all indicators are that is going to be a winner in the accuracy and performance departments.

S/F,

Wes

·
NSR
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sunnyb,

Thanks for the info on the one piece mount. For now, the Talley's are doing just fine. I put the whole thing together, mounted the scope, and it shot within 1 1/2" of dead center. Love it when things "line up" correctly...

Wes

·
NSR
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
XUSNORDIE,

Some of my fondest memories were of shooting "ground grizzlies" in the mid-80's with my.223 Varmint Special. I was stationed in Allentown, PA. as a Marine Corps Inspector-Instructor at the time.

Lot's of fun to say the least.

Thanks for your post...

Semper Fi,

Wes

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
XUSNORDIE,

Some of my fondest memories were of shooting "ground grizzlies" in the mid-80's with my.223 Varmint Special. I was stationed in Allentown, PA. as a Marine Corps Inspector-Instructor at the time.

Lot's of fun to say the least.

Thanks for your post...

Semper Fi,

Wes
They are still out here in abundance Wes......next kill will be in your honor!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.