M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we do it, someone did....Looks like a nice place.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZWlS9viwuc[/ame]

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
didn't some lady just get evicted from her house in fla for no electricity or running water?
Yes, in Coral Gables, Florida.

Not sure where you would get away with living in something like that. Most any place has building codes. Fireplace or wood stove & thatch roof are a combination for a bond fire.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Yes, in Coral Gables, Florida.

Not sure where you would get away with living in something like that. Most any place has building codes. Fireplace or wood stove & thatch roof are a combination for a bond fire.
The trick is finding somewhere that doesn't/can't enforce building codes. Rural parts of Maine, Montana, Wisconsin, Michigan, a lot of Canada.

Granted, if the county does decide to enforce codes down the road you're in for a line of crap...while I understand the reason for building codes in some instances (fire safety being a big one), the biggest reason is to not depreciate property values in the area, which in turn would lower taxes and result in the government on oh so many levels not getting their cut. And god forbid you don't pay the Lords and Ladies for the property they allow you to live on.

A lot of the new "alternative" style houses that are popping up are so much better built than anything you're going to hire out it's ridiculous. And while I wouldn't do a cob house, I am planning on building a cob walled greenhouse with built in wood stove to keep it warmed in the winter.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
just gave away my burnt out house for free.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I know of a place you can buy two regular story houses that are nice size for less than than that. Lol, its called detroit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts