M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to find a load for the 223 REM that is close to or within the 204 RUGER arena. IE: Nosler has 35GRFBHP and 34GR Ballistic Tip loads (MAX) at 3900 FPS.

Does anyone have experience trying this type of load in 223 REM? Primer issues? Case issues?

Barrel is standard weight 22" 1:12.....wondering about bullet stability, and if the load is accurate how fast will the barrel shoot out...will be used specifically for Groundhog on very hilly farmlands. Pretty mobile during the hunts from stand to stand and stalking, which is why the standard barrel is mentioned.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Trying to develop a "204 like laser" load in my Vanguard 223.........lugging a heavy barrel is not fun in the heat/humidity...it's fine off the hood or prone during a long stand but not stalking up and down hills..

I'm thinking this may be hard to do with the standard barrel...but hey developing loads is supposed to be fun right?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
What distances will you be shooting?

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What distances will you be shooting?
Normally 300 and under with the 223....although got lucky a few times a tad further. The 204 hits easily at 400+...but really it's not the distance, I'd like to get the same trajectory out of the 223 compared to the 204. The lighter bullets pushed faster may get it there IF the 223 barrel will handle it....I'm guessing...

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
You can read up on 223 barrel life online but really no way to tell for certain. I hear you on lugging a heavy rifle, i have a bull barreled AR with a PRS stock that weighs too much. If I were to varmint hunt next week I'd use my 18" 7 twist and 60vmaxs.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can read up on 223 barrel life online but really no way to tell for certain. I hear you on lugging a heavy rifle, i have a bull barreled AR with a PRS stock that weighs too much. If I were to varmint hunt next week I'd use my 18" 7 twist and 60vmaxs.
Exactly......Groundhog hunting is not fast and furious like prairie dogs or ground squirrels....barrel really does not get heated often. On average about 7-10 trigger pulls per hunt.....and that's normally a few hours. My 223 bolt is used, an older Vanguard. Have no idea what was threw it before I got it. Not even sure the lighter bullets will stabilize...guess I should worry about that before worrying about barrel endurance....But it is a lot easy to hump on a stalk.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
im interested in a laser load for matches.

spr profile 18 inch barrell.

i think with the right powder?

heres calculations for my rifle with 30gr bergers

looks great for 1-200 but then starts droppin.

compare to a hornady factory 204 ruger load.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
fixed it sry.

what powder attributes would allow that 3900.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im interested in a paser load for matches spr profile 18 inch barrell.

i think with the right powder?

heres calculations for my rifle with 30gr bergers

looks great for 1-200 but then starts droppin
Yeah even with an extra 4 inches of barrel, and the stars aligned it may be a tough recipe to find, and maybe harsh on the components.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I think you may get the velocity but those bullets are flat base with a lower BC and may run out of steam quickly.

Did you ever run the trajectory 35 flat base vs 40 Ballistic tip?

Three hundred yards shouldn't be a problem with the 40BTs.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you may get the velocity but those bullets are flat base with a lower BC and may run out of steam quickly.

Did you ever run the trajectory 35 flat base vs 40 Ballistic tip?

Three hundred yards shouldn't be a problem with the 40BTs.

No I didn't...good point though.....I was dwelling on speed.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
fixed it sry.

what powder attributes would allow that 3900.
Okay because when I'm around my midwestern relatives I always learn new terms. They were all in the truck saying they're going "hogging" for "whistle pigs" I thought that meant we were going to the bar.

I don't know of a 4000fps 223 load from an 18", not sure that's possible. When I varmint I use a 20" bull barrel and 25.4 IMR4320 or 26 varget and a 50gr bullet. About 3100fps.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay because when I'm around my midwestern relatives I always learn new terms. They were all in the truck saying they're going "hogging" for "whistle pigs" I thought that meant we were going to the bar.
I don't know of a 4000fps 223 load from an 18", not sure that's possible. When I varmint I use a 20" bull barrel and 25.4 IMR4320 or 26 varget and a 50gr bullet. About 3100fps.
Now that's FUNNY!.....we call them G'Hogs, Ground Gizzlies and Pasture Poodles out here....hoping that would not make you think of a bar....; )

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Had a lot of good luck with the .224 40gr VMax hunting this year...very explosive, and I'm getting single hole groups at 100 yards with a 26"bbl Remington 700. No clue what the muzzle velocity is, as I have no way to measure just yet.

5 round group

1 - 20 of 27 Posts