M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I know absolutely nothing about these, but I am considering getting a .22lr upper to go on my regular AR lower. My questions to you are;
1) do they work well
2) any better than others
3) is it hard to convert

Any insight you can provide would help a lot!

Thanks

Redraider

·
Registered
826 Posts
1. Yes the dedicated .22LR uppers work well. At least as well as the rimfire ammunition you choose to shoot. The .22LR conversions that use a regular AR upper (basically just a bolt and magazine) don't always work as well.

2. There are many brands that seem to be popular. Hopefully others can chime in here.

3. It's as easy to change out as pulling the take down pins and swapping the upper. Maybe a 30 second job.

·
Registered
333 Posts
A dedicated upper seems to be the way to go. I've heard Compass Lake uppers are one of the top brands but don't have personal experience.

What I do have experience with is the bolt conversion units, where you change out the bolt carrier and use your standard upper. These units sometimes work but are subject to a lot of jams, and most uppers nowdays are 1:9 or 1:7 which are too fast for the light .22 bullet. They work better in the old Colt SP1, or any upper with a 1:12 twist. Most I've tried do not have a great deal of accuracy. YMMV

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
i have gotten good results with the cmmg conversion and my spr barrel

i dont punch paper though, i shoot steel.

no jams at all with most bulk ammo.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a CMMG dedicated 22lr upper that has been 100% reliable with about 3000 rounds thru it. It will shoot just as well with just about any brand of shells--altho, I don't shoot remington 22 shells anymore--too many duds. If you get a dedicated upper--stock up on ammo, cuz it is a Blast!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts