M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an OLD Remington 552 that I cannot get to shoot any kind of reasonable group. I have cleaned the bore, but still no joy. I suspect it may suffer from years of accumulated gunk. Can anybody suggest a nuclear strength bore cleaner that might help? Other suggestions? Thanks.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
I have an OLD Remington 552 that I cannot get to shoot any kind of reasonable group. I have cleaned the bore, but still no joy. I suspect it may suffer from years of accumulated gunk. Can anybody suggest a nuclear strength bore cleaner that might help? Other suggestions? Thanks.

#1 It might be the ammo. I have a remmington 541-s that will shoot a golf ball size group at 100 yds......with certain ammo. On the same day with the same rifle I cannot even group the size of a paper plate.....switch back to the good ammo and Im back shooting golf balls again.....

#2 check the crown. I had a 30-30 that was key-holing at 25ft. with every type ammo I sent through it.....crown had a bad gouge in it from dad grinding his cleaning rod on it. I sent it in for a new barrel and now it shoots perfect..

use a light at one end and look into the other end to see if there is pitting from corrosion or the rifling is caked with lead.

Keep me posted I would be interested to know what worked... thanks..

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I would plug the breech and fill the bore with something like Butch's Bore Shine and let er' sit over night, would be kinda tough to use JB Bore Paste but you could try wrapping a patch over a .17 cal brush and using some JB on it

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
In the old days a little mercury would take care of the issue....GI2

You can soak it in bore solvent, and use brass wool back and forth in a tight plug. As previously posted, a recrown usually works wonders on old 22s.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
i would try a s/s bore brush.
Lruss

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
In the old days a little mercury would take care of the issue....GI2

You can soak it in bore solvent, and use brass wool back and forth in a tight plug. As previously posted, a recrown usually works wonders on old 22s.
How was mercury used ?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Because this info is readily available on the net...

You plug the chamber, fill the barrel 50% with merc, plug the muzzle and rock it to swish the merc around. The mercury will "alloy" with the lead and form an amalgamate that is simply poured out into a container.

THIS METHODOLOGY IS NOW CONSIDERED DANGEROUS, AND DISPOSAL OF MERCURY MUST BE DONE IN ACCORDANCE WITH STATE AND FEDERAL LAW. MERCURY IS KNOWN, ESPECIALLY IN CALIFORNIA, TO BE NASTY TOXIC STUFF. THERE ARE MUCH SAFER WAYS TO ATTEND TO A RIFLE BORE THAT IS LEADED.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It doesn't help your problem but I really like those 552 BDLs. I've been looking at GB and there are some nice NIB ones in the 400-500 range. Wanted one since I was a kid. Now may be the time. Good luck with your issue and stay away from mercury.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
You're kidding...Kind of a "reverse plating". Outstanding. I've had a few fixer up'er Garands I could have used that neat gadget on.

Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Yeah, there are different cleaning solutions for lead and/or copper fouling. Pretty neat. I bought all the parts to make one but haven't gotten around to putting it together yet........

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I shoot a fair amount of smallbore. Wagering sight unseen, odds are the middle section of the barrel's OK, barely worn, might need a good patching out with Hoppe's Benchrest. When a .22 rimfire barrel goes south it's nearly always at the leade or within the first inch behind the muzzle. That's why you'll see many .22 rimfire barrels that have been set back or recut & recrowned, or both. Try to locate a competent smallbore gunsmith to take a look at it before you give up on it. There's a guy up in New York state named J.C. Blauvelt who does nice work on Remington .22's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts