M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to go to Walmart to get some oil so I strolled by the man section & asked if they had any .22 cartridges. they said no but the new Academy sports behind the Kroger in Dogwood had opened Friday & they had some. sweet! about a mile away so I motored on down. wasted trip. they had a pile of maybe 1500 rnds in 50 rnd boxes, federal "long" clerk said ( I doubt he knows a .22 long from a 300 h&h magnum) and then he says "$20 a box, 50 rnds". "do what?" he repeats. "no thanks" I said. he asks if I was sure I didn't want them, I told him they were priced too high. my '60s math tells me that's $.40 a rnd! he said that "everybody been buying them so they must not be too high". I saw a craigslist add for 3000 @ $.16 a rnd the other day & let that pass. am I living in the twilight zone or what? I paid $13.47 for 50 rnds .22 wmr at walmart in Kosciusko two weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I would say you might have been too polite to him, but maybe things are worse off where you are.

Up here the going rate is around $0.10/rd for nothing fancy/bulk .22LR, and I still think thats unreasonable.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I think you ought to call another academy

I can go look or call mine tomorrow if I remember but it's possible the manager running that one is pulling a fast one. .

Some people don't have .22 stocked up to the ceiling like many people...
They have squirrels to kill and .40 cents a round is still cheaper than .50 for .223

If something crazy has happened and all academies are selling .22nd at .40 a round your going to see the .22lr industry take a huge hit. By that I Mean the gun makers.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
I don't know if Academy's are all corporate owned but I would drop a line to the CEO and inform him of what's going on. I shop 3 Academy here south of Houston and 22lr is selling for 5 to 10 cents a rd and they are one of , if not the cheapest suppliers of 22lr in the area & they strictly enforce the limit of 2 box of 50/100 rds or 1 box of bulk be they 325/500/1400rds. Something's wrong there , let corporate know.

·
13,515 Posts
Here go to academy.com

Print out the ads for ".22 lr ammo"

Sounds like someone is selling a14$ pack for 40 and keeping the change. It was CCI minimag right?

I hope they ain't selling 2.25 dollar packs for that much.

They advertise a 900 round cc I minimag for 119$ still outrageous...
Assuming they honor their own ads.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Must be a regional thing, I can buy 50 rd boxes of Remington Thunderbolt, or CCI, for $4.50/bx at a local gun store, and they almost always have some.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tomorrow I am gonna call the Academy on the other side of the reservoir & see what they say theirs cost, then I'm gonna call this store up & talk with the manager. the guys behind the counter looked like the kinda people who have never even picked up a firearm before, if you know what I mean. keep yall posted.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I picked up 2-100 rd boxes of CCI sub-sonic HP from a hole in the wall gun shop Sat. for 8.16 per box, tax included on that price.

·
13,515 Posts
Must be a regional thing, I can buy 50 rd boxes of Remington Thunderbolt, or CCI, for $4.50/bx at a local gun store, and they almost always have some.
And THAT is DOUBLE what it should be.

Ammo is supposed to be very inelastic.

You can't usually convince bozos in city X to pay more than city Y for ammunition.

Maybe this is why they say my generation wasted our money on our degrees.

I have seen bit after bit of my economics texts disproven.

Price Pepsi to 5.00 a can , will people switch to coke ?

·
13,515 Posts
tomorrow I am gonna call the Academy on the other side of the reservoir & see what they say theirs cost, then I'm gonna call this store up & talk with the manager. the guys behind the counter looked like the kinda people who have never even picked up a firearm before, if you know what I mean. keep yall posted.
I dunno. Anyone who's been working an Academy may not know about guns but they learn about ammo since they keep the good stuff behind the counter.

In my city there was always ammo for sale at academy throughout the whole scare.

They were dumb though. It's a strict one box per caliber.
They would let you get one Box of 5.56 and one box of .223

(The independence brand was labeled 5.56)

About 6 months ago all restrictions were lifted except .22lr and 9mm

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I think you found one of the many clerks at academy that know nothing, and had the ammunition priced wrong. There is a reason that most Academy Sports have a price checker hanging in the same row as the ammo..

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think you found one of the many clerks at academy that know nothing, and had the ammunition priced wrong. There is a reason that most Academy Sports have a price checker hanging in the same row as the ammo..
I'm pretty sure this is the case. I have been seeing other reports of that store opening and nothing has been mentioned about prices. Supposed to have been a line of folks and a 2 box limit. It's not like folks mind complaining so I think it would have been mentioned.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called the ridgeland store & boy told me they had sold out yesterday & the price had been $2.29 50 rnd box, didn't ask what brand they had been. called flowood store & nice young man said they had just got in some cci @ $6.99 50 rnd box. when I asked had they sold outta the $20 box federals he laughed & said "they sent that guy BACK to the warehouse!USNA looks like they (he) had miss-priced them. wonder if all the folks that paid $20 a box know that?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I called the ridgeland store & boy told me they had sold out yesterday & the price had been $2.29 50 rnd box, didn't ask what brand they had been. called flowood store & nice young man said they had just got in some cci @ $6.99 50 rnd box. when I asked had they sold outta the $20 box federals he laughed & said "they sent that guy BACK to the warehouse!USNA looks like they (he) had miss-priced them. wonder if all the folks that paid $20 a box know that?
they didn't, when they scan it in the register it will give the proper price no matter what the idiot told you

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I refuse to be Hijacked buying .22lr at ridicules prices. I still have a good supply of Walmart 22s purchased years ago before this Rimfire Madness began. I use them in my pistols. Instead of using my .22 Rifles I pulled out my .22 Hornet. I can load it with a Cast bullet, a small rifle Primer, and a pinch of Powder for Pennies a round. It can duplicate Long Rifle velocities,and way beyond

1 - 16 of 16 Posts