M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yup, and it was absolutely fantastic.

It was a good service (except for the long-winded Minister). My heart really went out to Nancy there at the end.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Yes I watched it also,with the wife,we both sat there with a lump in our throat! :( The 21 gun salute was awesome with the M-14s,I figured someone would be on here talking about it,,it was pretty cool! It will be a Loooooong time before we get another Pres. like the Ole Gipper,,if we ever do again!!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
We watched allso little Ivey was sitting in my lap when they gave the 21 gun salute. She looked at me and said them gun's are like the one you have dad she don't miss much. Hope the gipper live's in our heart for along time to come.

·
Banned
611 Posts
chucks: You read into that a little too much. It is in this case a 21 gun salute. It is standard protocall in a military funeral, if asked for by the family, for a 7 man rifle team to fire three volleys as a 21 gun salute. Well it won't be 21 guns except for the president I believe. Lower ranking military members receive fewer shots. My last freind that died while I was in the navy received 16 If I remember right. It was a while back.
Did anyone catch on fox news how durring the cannon salute the bottom of the screen said army 21 gun salute. Those sure looked like marines each time to me!
Just wondering if anyone else noticed that. Was it army doing the rifle salute? I had to leave the room because I just couldn't watch anymore and didn't pay attention to who they were before I got up. I was wondering if there was protocall for who would fire the gun salutes or be allowed to be armed in a presidential funeral. I only noticed navy and marines with weapons. Was that just coincidence or protocall?
It was a very nice service though. I will sure miss him. He was president when I went in. The military then was probably the best ever.

·
Banned
296 Posts
My wife and I watched too with tears in our eyes. I think Reagan was the best and most important President in the 20th century. He was the first one I was old enought to vote for (in 84).

By the way, what kind of cannon and rifle rounds do they fire at an event like this?

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I listened to the service held at Simi Valley on AM 640 KFI Radio while driving back from Los Angeles to Las Vegas yesterday. It was still impressive and inspirational listening to it. The military choir was awesome. Listening to them sing Battle Hymn of the Republic was very moving.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Dan --

I posted the link and you still claim otherwise? ](*,) 8)

3 volleys by 7 muskets is NOT a 21 gun salute. It is certainly impressive but it's not "21 guns." If you're an honorably discharged veteran or retiree you're entitled to a firing party at your funeral, but even if there are seven firers neither you (nor I!) are getting a "21 gun salute." Here's another link:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/customs.htm

Cannon salutes are not authorized many folks. Head of State, in this case the President or former President, gets 21 by international protocol and US regulations. Cannon salutes are not restricted to, but are most commonly used in military funerals.

Cannon salutes: The number is always odd and the lower limit is 11 for a Brigadier General or Rear Admiral (Lower Half) -- one star. There are no "16 gun salutes". Here's yet another link:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/arms.htm

I've been the OIC of dozens of military funerals and they're no fun even when I've not known the soldier.

RTLW,

-- Chuck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.