M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Elton riggs spent his entire career after retirment from the us army making sure vets had 21 guns salutes.

He even did his last one by himself just him im dress uniform with a walker and an m1 rifle.

Halfway to his funeral i am told that noone will do eltons 21 gun salute.

Theres just something wrong with that and i suggested we at least try our best.

So we have 7 volunteers and some rifles were found in cases in the garage.

If anyone that has done a 21 gun salute could shoot me a pm.

·
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are have one across town tommorow. The heat is really bad here so i guess they only do one per day.

Elton is from west texas but the family moved him out here north of tulsa for the quality of the va center. He needed a lot of help after being diagnosed with ALS.

Really hard to see such a guy lose his independance.

I believe the best course of action is try and find his m1 and im told there may be blanks. Ill give it a inspection as best as ive learned here and maybe someone can shoot it at the cemetary.

Family has been on the phone for two days tryong to get someone to come out. Just a bad weekend for all this to happen.

·
Banned
654 Posts
I was in the Honor Guard while on active duty both at Castle AFB & Nellis AFB. The thread posted above is very important concerning blank ammunition.

We used M1's without bfd's. Had a very specific cadence for rendering the 21 Gun Salute that included charging the rifle @ port arms, then aim, then fire. Required ALOT of practice, but when all seven Riflemen were in sync with the team commander, it would raise goosebumps. The echo of seven bolts being charged precisely on count, then to "shoulder" at 'aim', then a single report at 'fire', was awesome!
GI1

We took extreme pride in our precision & professionalism, and the year I served on the teams stands as the highlight of my military career.

Feel free to pm me if I can help out somehow.
USA2

·
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You sound lile a man after pawpaws own heart .

I think we are going to just try and shoot his m1.

Depends. I may post pics as i dont think we should rush to fire his m1 with blanks we find.not without someone who knows the m1. 30 cal giving their opinion.

·
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks art. Sadly this is all so last minute.

I am very thabkful to this site as i can be sure not to use the grenade launcher blabks by accident.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts