M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should we start a new thread just for reporting and tracking this "episode"?

I'm thinking; first person reporting only, No rumours or links. Just report what you see or learn first hand. K?

·
Registered
953 Posts
6 tested in Alamogordo NM yesterday, all neg.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I'll go:

Living in SW MI.

Employer, a fortune 500 Co sent all office personnel to work from home starting 3/13.

All K-12 schools closed per governor's order. Local universities are closed.

No hamburger at local store tonite. Had to buy $8/lbs organic, lean burger. Burgers were OK but a bit dry.

·
Registered
207 Posts
NEOhio.

All public and private schools are closed for three weeks.

Restaurants are empty but bars are still conducting a regular business.

No toilet paper, soap, bleach, bread, meat, wipes, hand sanitizer, isopropyl alcohol, or certain meds in stock anywhere.

Most of the courts are closed or doing business by phone only.

Godspeed to all of you.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Heard on the local news tonight the Coachella Valley; where I live, has 9 confirmed cases?

It is going to kill our tourist economy here... Any wonder?

* now it is 16 on our local news tonight... ONE death...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Yep, nothing on the shelves at the local stores. I bought a generator, ordered cans, buying some tomorrow, grabbing gas. Plenty of ammo and food now, just sitting reading the news. Momma and Kids will be cooped up while I’m on base next week.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Utah schools and universities closed. Church has cancelled all meetings and gatherings. Wife and I went out to dinner and our favorite place had diners in it but while we were standing in line they told us they were closed for “health concerns”

We walked next door and ate at smash burger. Milk is sold out everywhere. Toilet paper. Of all the fool things.

My company is encouraging local office to work from home. SF office is work from home only.

I only know about these outages from my father in law who is older and spends his days buying things.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
The Wife Report:

First store (starts with a K ends in oger) she went to had a line at the door and was only letting one customer in at a time.

Several security types around and signs posted limiting quantities on things.

Second store, Wallymart, no bread, good thing I eat tortillas, no sanitizing type stuff, takes 60% alcohol to kill the virus anyway, meat department pretty much cleaned out, people stocking up for a long stay at home?

She didn’t check the water aisle.

People in line standing a good distance from one another.

She went for cat food.

Plenty of stock in the pet food aisle.

NOBODY CARES ABOUT THEIR PETS!!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
She went for cat food.

Plenty of stock in the pet food aisle.

NOBODY CARES ABOUT THEIR PETS!!
To be fair, Chewy and Amazon will (would?) deliver pet food on a regular basis if desired. I normally buy 6 months ahead so that in the event there is a recall, I'd know about it before opening a bag.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
To date there have not been any reports of the virus in WV, but I am sure just not discovered yet. As for the stores don't see any lines or shortages of items other than hand sanitizer and supposedly toilet paper??? I do believe the removal of various legal hurdles, rules, regulations, etc. which now permits private labs, medical centers to freely interact with others regardless of location will greatly increase the speed in which testing kits, etc. can be accessed for discovery and treatment of the disease. It is finally becoming realized by some that political attacks on those trying to solve the problem is not a popular method with the general public. Definitely not a winning strategy. As for those trying to price gouge on products that are available should be taken to the village square and placed in stocks for all the public to throw rotten tomatoes at them plus other items.

·
Registered
600 Posts
1 new case in Frisco , 1 in McKinney, 5 in Dallas yesterday
2 fights at grocery store Friday morning over TP ( Brookshire's in Celina Tx. ) the store is usually very casual and low key shoppers , Friday was a full parking lot and shoppers galore coming from the Metro area ,they must have exhausted / emptied their local stores.
water gone and lots of shelfs empty ,( crazy )

as far as pet food keep them well fed , if worst come to extreme worst they will be fatten up and ready for the chopping block . if you can't do it your neighbor will ,survival is the key word
sorry but in a real world pandemic and the grocery store are not restocked guess what the metro zombies will venture out of the cities and invade your/my sleepy town. was just proved Friday morning at grocery store
keep you powder dry / cocked and loaded

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Here's the big picture. Just re-load this constantly updated Johns Hopkins tracking page every day, and you'll get a sense of the outbreak:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

We really should have started testing ~ 100,000 people per week by mid-to-late February, but test kits were simply not ready or distributed. The reason that South Korea has so many cases is because they got ahead of the curve and quickly developed the most aggressive and innovative testing program in probably any country:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/asia/coronavirus-south-korea-testing-intl-hnk/index.html

How this South Korean company created coronavirus test kits in three weeks

While some nations have struggled to get enough test kits to diagnose suspected patients, South Korea has provided free and easy access to testing for anyone who a doctor deems needs it. The country's Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (KCDC) says the country has 118 facilities that can test -- and all report their results to KCDC. To date, the country has tested more than 230,000 people.

It has even rolled out drive-through coronavirus testing facilities, where motorists are met by health workers dressed in hazmat suits.
...so folks don't even need to get out of their cars, they swab them for samples and get their contact info. I sincerely hope we can quickly mimic that type of testing program, as cases in the USA are woefully under-reported due to lack of kits and early testing. This is what is needed here in the USA as well:

At first, Seegene struggled to meet demand, but now it is coping.
The firm is making about 10,000 kits a week and each kit can test 100 patients. So it is making enough to test one million patients each week, at a cost of under $20 per test.

Noh Si-won, the executive director of corporate strategy, said it is the first time he has seen the company manufacturing at this scale
One chart shows how many coronavirus tests per capita have been completed in 8 countries. The US is woefully behind.
Aylin Woodward and Skye Gould Mar 9, 2020, 7:20 PM

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-testing-covid-19-tests-per-capita-chart-us-behind-2020-3

..as of March 9th, the US had tested only 5 people per million. It’s trivial. We are a big country with logistical challenges, but this is not a robust response given the urgency and public health risks.
My 2cts.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Having returned earlier in the week from a month in Europe where the virus is spreading rapidly I observed that my greatest risk of exposure was at airports. There were literally thousands of travelers from everywhere being funneled through TSA checkpoints with personal belongings bins being used over and over for hundreds of times without being cleaned and large numbers of people being forced into close proximity with each other. Small wonder that the virus is spreading rapidly and cases being attributed to countries of origin, when in reality government procedures are to blame. By maintaining the same practices used before the outbreak when innovation is badly needed, TSA only compounds the problem.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
There is no question that global air travel patterns over the past 3 or 4 decades makes the containment of highly contagious airborne viruses essentially impossible to control - unless all international air traffic is immediately grounded, and all ships are quarantined at the very first sign of an outbreak. Breathing 5, 6 or 7 hrs of recycled air in the tightly confined space of a commercial aircraft flying over the Pacific or Atlantic is ideal for spreading the COVID-19 virus which unfortunately survives in the recycled air for the entire duration of the flight.

Breathing recycled air on a week-long cruise ship with 2 or 3 thousand people is probably the very worst incubator for spreading this virus. Aircraft don’t hold as many people so the risk is lower, but unfortunately transmission risk is present due to air pressurization and recycling. International airports are also a risk for the reasons noted above. My planned international trip next month was canceled. I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
From N.E. FL: my county - Clay - one reported but unconfirmed, waiting on test kits. One reported in neighboring county (St. Johns), also unconfirmed, waiting on test kit. One reported in Daytona Beach, confirmed. Was from NY, attending Bike Week.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I know everyone feels like they are in control by tracking and knowing where hot spots are but remember to stay calm . Everyone is starting to panic about this and that might end up being worse than the virus. Testing everyone isn't going to stop this. It is a matter of time luckily we are ending our winter months with warmer moister air and sunshine coming that should kill and weaken the virus.
If folks at risk take care to stay away from other sick folks that will help them greatly. The healthy and young even if they contract the virus will most likely recover and not even know they were affected.
No matter what the government does or doesn't do it will do little to change the outcome of we don't do what we can do to stay healthy. Maintain a good diet wash your hands cover your mouth when you cough. Only go to mass gatherings if they are very important. Every cough and sniffle is not the Corona virus .
No matter how this plays out I think most of the folks at the government and on the news are playing political football so you rely on then they have just as little control as we do.
I've lived thru many health emergencies and the one thing I'm am sure of is the cites will get hit hard and they will make you think the whole world is going to sh## and those of us who don't live on top of one another will do better.
Staying calm and not doing stupid things is going to be the best defense in the end.

P.S. I don't get the toilet paper thing! I think they are anally fixated...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Closing our offices to foot traffic today at opening - we will be open, but no FTF or cash transactions. Everything will be transacted on-line or by telephone, and payment by CC/debit only.

·
Registered
129 Posts
St Paddy's day festive's are canceled here this weekend. And all the lodges that do the corned beef an cabbage dinners are canceled except 1. But limited space for people.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Update for FL: 25 new cases were confirmed overnight thru out the state. That brings the state wide count to about 70. Test kits are becoming available and as more people get tested the number of confirmed cases will raise thru out the country. Don’t get overly concerned about the increasing number of cases. These folks were out there, just not tested.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts