M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sound is a concern for me with a HD rifle. How much louder is a 16 inch 223 AR than a 20 inch 223 AR? Is it noticeable enough to make choosing a 20 inch barreled rifle better?

·
Registered
62 Posts
20" isn't really quieter, just not as much "crack" to it as a 16". Using the same ammo and both with A2 Flash hiders the 16" still sounds like a "crack" through my muffs whereas the 20" just sounds like a "pop".

·
Registered
375 Posts
Shorter is handier inside buildings, vehicles, etc. If all a person had was a 20" you could make it work and train with it but if a person wanted to spend some $ on a shorter build, well I say go for it!

·
Registered
11,679 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yup. The SureFire requires one of their brakes or flash hiders to attach. Still, a really nice product that I run on my M4. How does your linear attach to the M1A?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Yup. The SureFire requires one of their brakes or flash hiders to attach. Still, a really nice product that I run on my M4. How does your linear attach to the M1A?
Not speaking for Kurt, but I would guess with an adapter. SEI makes a couple, one with a front sight base and a castle nut, just like Delta P makes (but not as spiffy, I've been told), and one that is simply a screw on thread adapter.

I have an SEI for the modular linear comp I got from Witt Machine, who used to sponsor this site, but seems to have wandered off...

You can unscrew the shroud and revert to a standard brake, if you like. There is a little more recoil reduction, though it wasn't much to begin with, so for the most part, I'm inclined to just keep it on with thread locker unless it's time to clean in and out.

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
It's threaded 5/8-24, so just about any adapter will work. I use an SEI.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Sound is a concern for me with a HD rifle. How much louder is a 16 inch 223 AR than a 20 inch 223 AR? Is it noticeable enough to make choosing a 20 inch barreled rifle better?
remind me of what HD is again?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Home Defense
ah, ok.

OP, think of the neighbors as well. If you smoke someone in your house, chances are youre going to smoke someone in the next house as well. just get a shotgun and call it a day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts