M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an old "NM" op rod spring guide from someone here, way back, sight unseen. The early version with mag catch welded on. It will not be used but what is the danger of catastrophic failure if/when it would let loose. What's the worst that could happen? Were these early attempts at what they have now evolved in to, anyone with experience with these? Thanks, CTK

Registered
Depends on who made it and how well. There are a bunch of cheap ones out there, Sarco used to sell them among others.

I used to have a bad one, the tab was crooked and it was too long and it made it a PITA to field strip. Now replaced by Sadlak and won't go back. Hey, that has a ring to it. GI1

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been installed, good fit, cycles smoothly, good mag lock up. Just curious what is worse case scenario if breakage occurred under pressure of live fire. Trying to dissect in my mind, but I'm no engineer.

Registered
It's been installed, good fit, cycles smoothly, good mag lock up. Just curious what is worse case scenario if breakage occurred under pressure of live fire. Trying to dissect in my mind, but I'm no engineer.
the amtu style type are junk. noses are annealed and will wear out quickley.

they are silver solderd together and subject to joint failure depending on the quality of workmanship.

later models had a spring pin through both parts as a safety measure.

what can happen and has, is joint failure, the rod fell out, don't ask me how, and jammed against the side of the reciever
bending the oprod on the next round fired. this one did not have the spring pin installed.

get a sadlak

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems Sadlaks been BO'd for some time. Just ordered two Badger Ordnance, hope there up to snuff, didn't really do my homework. Seems like such a no brainer to me, why do they even bother with the standard design any longer, can't cost all that much more to produce/supply NM spring guides with every build. Of course it would eat into the aftermarket industry. Like buying a bone stock Harley, they know you'll be back.

Registered
Picked up an old "NM" op rod spring guide from someone here, way back, sight unseen. The early version with mag catch welded on. It will not be used but what is the danger of catastrophic failure if/when it would let loose. What's the worst that could happen? Were these early attempts at what they have now evolved in to, anyone with experience with these? Thanks, CTK

CTK, are you talking about the earlier Brookfield NM Spring Guides? Post a pic, to help identify. BTW: I've got a Brookfield installed in my loaded SAI(1996), and it looks to be tig welded in. I don't think it'll ever break. dozier

MGySgt USMC (ret)
You may enjoy reading this:

http://m14forum.com/gus-fisher/110200-old-new-nm-m14-op-rod-spring-guides.html#post805285

Registered
ctk, are you talking about the earlier brookfield nm spring guides? Post a pic, to help identify. Btw: I've got a brookfield installed in my loaded sai(1996), and it looks to be tig welded in. I don't think it'll ever break. Dozier
your right,

over 6 thousand were made with no reported breakage.

They were tig welded by machine.

They were destruct tested with no failures of the welds.

Registered
I have a BPT op rod spring guide in my rifle. The only problem I have had with it is I think I paid to much for it. Then again, it's not like you can order one.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
i run a round spring guide on my LRB and have had no problems.
Worse thing that i could see is the mag would disengage.
That is what I thought. Then someone told me to get that thing off there, "It's a disaster waiting to happen" Seller told me manufacturer, cannot recall, was even newbier than now, hadn't even heard of Brookfield back then. Lousy pic may not show latch is dovetailed into body. Latch shows no visible wear, but cannot see evidence of solder or welding. It seems mighty solid, but how it is joined, I don't know. Thanks.

Fascinating link, thanks Gus.

Registered
That is what I thought. Then someone told me to get that thing off there, "It's a disaster waiting to happen" Seller told me manufacturer, cannot recall, was even newbier than now, hadn't even heard of Brookfield back then. Lousy pic may not show latch is dovetailed into body. Latch shows no visible wear, but cannot see evidence of solder or welding. It seems mighty solid, but how it is joined, I don't know. Thanks.

Fascinating link, thanks Gus.

Chrome plated, mag latch dovetailed in???? That's a new one on me. Try the parallel test as Gus describes, if it passes give it a try, and check for wear/looseness of the latch. dozier

Registered
that is what i thought. Then someone told me to get that thing off there, "it's a disaster waiting to happen" seller told me manufacturer, cannot recall, was even newbier than now, hadn't even heard of brookfield back then. Lousy pic may not show latch is dovetailed into body. Latch shows no visible wear, but cannot see evidence of solder or welding. It seems mighty solid, but how it is joined, i don't know. Thanks.

Fascinating link, thanks gus.
It is not a BROOKFIELD or a SADLAK guide in that picture. It appears to be one of the silver soldered and chrome plated junk ones. Not a dovetail slot just a straight cut.

Get a Sadlak and be sure of the quality.

Both BROOKFIELD and SADLAK are proud enough to put their names on them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will do Dozier. But think this ones going in the tool box, maybe a nice trigger latch pry bar, at best.
Maybe Bubba had an "a hah" moment, fellow got rid of it for a reason. Or an ultra rare USGI prototype. Not:)

Registered
I've got two two piece Sadlak guides. They're hollow; the tab end had a plug that went into the rod, then they were welded, then they were machined and heat treated. 25 were made, too costly to produce anymore. Them and BPT are the only two piece guides I'd own and use myself.

Registered
Here's the problem I had with 2 older guides...the spring would bunch up and jam the bolt in the rearward position. It was so solid it made me think it was binding in the receiver. Went to a quality match-grade unit and also tried a stock stamped guide and discovered the problem. If it functions, and won't fall apart, try it out.

Bruce

Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
Yes, as the thread title says, "Toss it"! To answer your question, I think the worst thing that could happen is the mag would come out of the rifle, and you'd have a broken unsecured rod, and some loose pieces rolling around inside your stock and if fired again, probably a failure to extract would lock it up if it didn't happen when it broke the first time.
Why screw around? Get a Sadlak NM guide rod, they're made from one piece 8620 heat treated steel. If Sadlak is backordered, there are other vendors, I get mine usually at the gun show. Your rifle is only as strong as it's weakest link.
m14brian

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.