M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SA M1A was manufactured in 1998. I am the 2nd owner so don't know how many rounds he put down the barrel, but I have about 400. Twice I have had it go full auto for 2 to 3 round burst. Trigger group is clean and can not see any noticeable problems, but there is a problem. Can anyone help?

·
"Death From Above"
11,696 Posts
It's probably your trigger control. It's common for someone new to the rifle that has not spent much time with a two stage trigger. This just came up the other day.
Squeeze the trigger and hold it back. Keep it tight into your shoulder.

Has the trigger been modified? Has a match modification been done to it? It is possible that it was done wrong.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should have given a little back ground on my self. Did 30 yrs in the Corps, my first weapon was the M14 (1963). Second retirement was from the Arizona Department of Corrections were I was a Fire Arms Instructor and sniper on the Tactical Support Unit. I fire about 2K rounds a year, not good shot, but not bad either. There is something else wrong. Do not believe trigger was worked on.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I'll bet that if you compare your hammer to a known new hammer, you'll see that the hammer hooks have been stoned down too far, providing inadequate sear engagement. A replacement hammer will correct the problem, if that does prove to be the case.

And FWIW, repair it ASAP and don't broadcast this fact on public forums. The BATF supposedly charged one guy with posession of an unregistered machine gun who loaned a knowingly-malfunctioning AR-15 (with a similar problem) to a "friend."

·
Registered
143 Posts
Whatever you do, fix it before the next rang trip. If the PoPo see or hear that thing go full auto you'll be in deep doodoo. There was a guy who had an AR trigger break and go full auto. LEO's were right there and arrested him on the spot.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
If you have another stock to try, see if that fixes it.

·
"Death From Above"
11,696 Posts
Sounds like a bad trigger job. If you have all that trigger time it not the shooter.
Try this, with the hammer not cocked back, hold the trigger to the rear and cycle the action. When you release the trigger you should hear a little click.

·
Registered
809 Posts
For gods shake-Why haven't you called SAI. SHOCKED2
They'll fix it for free, I'll bet..........
CALL'EM,
LG

·
Registered
94 Posts
My SA M1A was manufactured in 1998. I am the 2nd owner so don't know how many rounds he put down the barrel, but I have about 400. Twice I have had it go full auto for 2 to 3 round burst. Trigger group is clean and can not see any noticeable problems, but there is a problem. Can anyone help?
do u roll your own amo ? What primers do u use. soft primers will alow slam fires . Just my out of the box thought

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had the same issue, i found that my trigger pin was broken.

I'm sure I was milking the trigger too, but I suspect the trigger pin also played a part in it. I changed my trigger and hammer to M1 Garand trigger/hammer, haven't had the issue since then, I've fired around 200 rounds since I replaced the parts, and the trigger pin of course.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guy's. We're going to change a couple of parts in the trigger then fire a few hundred rounds to check it out. I do load my own ammo otherwise I could not afford to shoot. Primers are CCI so their not soft. Will try that Winchester trigger out also. Again thanks for the input. This thing has been bugging for a while and now I have a direction as to where to go.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
'Doubling' can happen if the trigger is not consciously held fully rearward until recoil has stopped. Pull the trigger and HOLD it.

Trying to do a delicate 'just touch it off' trigger pull is called 'milking the trigger' - ok for boltaction, but trouble with auto-loaders.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
520 Posts
helo--------I had the same thing happen to me on a BRAND NEW Springfield M1A/M-14. I know it wasn't my trigger control or anything else that I was doing, Checked the hammer and found out the hooks on the hammer had been filed. This was on a NEW Rifle...

See pics...filed hooks on the right.

Siefly

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks guy's. We're going to change a couple of parts in the trigger then fire a few hundred rounds to check it out. I do load my own ammo otherwise I could not afford to shoot. Primers are CCI so their not soft. Will try that Winchester trigger out also. Again thanks for the input. This thing has been bugging for a while and now I have a direction as to where to go.
Actualy I had problems with my SKS and cci primmers I asked the gun guys at the place i get my suplies and they told me to switch to winchester or military primers .

Dave
PS I hope the trigger swap works . I was just relating my experiance with cci primers and military guns .

·
Registered
809 Posts
Actualy I had problems with my SKS and cci primmers I asked the gun guys at the place i get my suplies and they told me to switch to winchester or military primers .

Dave
PS I hope the trigger swap works . I was just relating my experiance with cci primers and military guns .
If your SKS or M1A can't 'pop' CCIs. There is somedangthing wrong with the weapon.
NOT with the primers!
LG

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
If your rifle only doubled, I would suspect, as others have stated that your trigger "control" is at fault. Your trigger control is "TOO Good". This usually happens with a M1-A or a Garand with a Match trigger or even a good stock trigger.
Air rifle and pistol competitors, 22 LR competitors, Bullseye Pistol shooters, and Precision long range bolt rifle shooters are usually the worst offenders that cause this.

I have shot several garands and M1-A's that I could make fire two shots with one "pull" of the trigger most every time.

However. since you gun shoots 3 times, I think there is something wrong in the triggger mechanism.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
SAI metal is a little soft, and if someone tried to do a trigger job.... it won't hold the job.

But then again, yours is from 1998.. it may indeed be GI parts.. you may have a broken trigger pin or something

1 - 20 of 26 Posts