M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help, AS I posted in my new user thread I am taking my 12 year old son to compete in the junior smallbore rifle championship at Camp Perry this year. I was wondering about any dos and don'ts. We are also staying in a Hut. I was told to bring an AC if I had one. I was planning on setting up outside the Hut with a EZ up for some shade and bringing a small gas grill and camp stove so we could cook and eat right there. Is this acceptable. any advise would be helpful. This is all new to us. I grew up as a plinker and hunter and still am to this day. I would like to make this trip as nice as possible to give my son a good experience. We don't need anything fancey My boy and I go out scouting deer and somtimes we will build shelters and start a fire with our strikers and spend the night.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Maine to Ohio means through the PDR of NY. Ouch! As for the Camp, it's a 'WOW' experience. You can volunteer while your son shoots, and you will get free room and $20 per day. You can fish from the pier on Lake Erie, no license needed. The hutments are 14 x14 feet, concrete floor, electric outlets, overhead light, cots with mattresses, bring your own linen. Washers and dryers available, coin operated. PX sells 'comfort items' without military ID. The old mess hall was destroyed in a tornado, the area is now a museum. Air gun range is open every day, bring your own or borrow one. You;ll have to walk at most about 30 yards to the bathroom (toilets, sinks, showers) so be SURE to bring shower shoes, towels, soap, shampoo etc. Portable grills are nice, but the huts are close together, so be considerate of neighbors. You and your son will share a hut, but probably just you two. NO animals permitted, ever. By all means, don't miss the CMP store, on your left as you approach the cantonment area.
Perhaps a sticky on this subject?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Bring lot's of spending money. GI2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.