M14 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Just thought I'd introduce myself. The first and only time I held/fired a M14 was in basic training at Fort Jackson circa 1963. It handled quite nicely and somehow I managed to make sharpshooter with it. (I think someone else was hitting my targets). Never saw or held one since that time. I do have several Garands and 1903's, but now I'm looking into a M14 or I should say M1a. Hopefully, I'll find some when I drive up to Camp Perry for a look see..
Welcome aboard, from Fort Worth!

Similar happened with my M16 qualification. There were 5 extra holes in my target....thankfully, they were within my cluster.

·
Registered
10,550 Posts
Thanks for all the welcomes..now I just have to decide on which M1a to buy. I expect to be only firing at paper targets with open sights. Anyone have any suggestions?
Regardless of how many configurations you end up with, everyone should have one as designed, GI profile.

This video should bring back memories...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O67xXyEG9D4"]How the M14 7.62 Rifle Operates - US Army Training Film - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Thanks for all the welcomes..now I just have to decide on which M1a to buy. I expect to be only firing at paper targets with open sights. Anyone have any suggestions?
Welcome to the forum. As KurtC mentioned, I would suggest a standard 22" barreled version. Keep an eye on the PX for a SAI or a Bula Defense or you can order a new Bula rifle on line. If you're going to Camp Perry, Bula may have some there for purchase, but I believe you'd have to live in a connecting state to take it home; otherwise you would have to have it shipped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks to all who replied. Couldn't resist temptation and purchased a Springfield M1a today from my local firearm store. It's just a plain jane, but I'm just going to use it for punching holes in paper targets. I have to shoot left handed because of vision problems, but it still will be fun. I do all my own reloading & will be curious on how it performs.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts