M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new SOCOM 16 this weekend and took it out for a short test run this today.

All I can say is WOW, This thing is fun. It functioned flawlessly shooting 200 of my 168 hand loads. Sights were on paper out of the box but I did have to make some adjustments as expected. I will also have to tweak the front sight as my windage had to be adjusted 4 clicks to the right to get my shots centerline of the target (I had zero wind this afternoon).

As others have said, the front site is a little thick for detailed work, but more than adequate for "minute of kill" groups at 100 yards.---My groups were about 5-8 inches at 100 yards once I zeroed my sights and using the back of my truck bed for support--no sandbags, no bipods.

The rifle felt great in its handling and the recoil was well controlled with that muzzle break. I was able to bounce back on target very quickly and easily.

The only thing I have done to the rifle is drop in a Sadlak Guide rod, and canvas sling. other than that--it is factory fresh.

I do have to dump the SAI plastic stock and am thinking a nice E2 stock or perhaps a Mc Millan or Blackfeather-------of course, that all depends on money and for the moment....I am Christmas broke.

Overall, very happy with this rifle and I can't wait to really put it through the paces to see what it is capable of.

Bob

Reactions: geepee3

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
You could easily get those groups to shrink with new sights and a better sight. Also if you really want to squeeze the most accuracy out of your rifle then look up the thread by RAMMAC about shimming the gas system and truing the brake to the crown as well as guide rods and springs.
Glad to hear you enjoy your new toy. I get a head ache after a few dozen rounds out of mine because of the blast that it has but I guess that is just what you get when you buy a 16 inch 308.....a fireball and a headache.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Congratulations on your first outing.
The biggest detraction to the Socom series is the large blade on the XS front sight.
I did a thread on sights that are compatible with the factory gas lock/muzzle brake.
The one that is on my rifle now is the XS that I modified.

I just finished testing the Scout front sight and USGI rear aperture.
It is a great alternative. With 50+ year eyes with progressive lenses I was getting blurring with the smaller aperture opening.(I hate getting old...then I think about the alternative.ICONROLLEY)

Get some more rounds loaded up and enjoy your Socom16.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could easily get those groups to shrink with new sights and a better sight. Also if you really want to squeeze the most accuracy out of your rifle then look up the thread by RAMMAC about shimming the gas system and truing the brake to the crown as well as guide rods and springs.
Glad to hear you enjoy your new toy. I get a head ache after a few dozen rounds out of mine because of the blast that it has but I guess that is just what you get when you buy a 16 inch 308.....a fireball and a headache.
At the moment, I don't have any real accuracy issues with the rifle as I haven't had a chance to adequately assess it. For that I really need optics and a good stable shooting platform and some known good ammo---I usually use gold medal match as my initial standard when judging accuracy--then work my own loads from there. I am familiar with shimming but don't have the need yet, the gas system seems to be holding tight at the moment (unlike my standard that got real loose after 100 rounds). When I do a complete break down and can check the gas lock lock up Then I can make the call to shim or not.

I do need to look at trueing the crown with the break---I am not familiar with that process, but will look it up---Thanks

Congratulations on your first outing.
The biggest detraction to the Socom series is the large blade on the XS front sight.
I did a thread on sights that are compatible with the factory gas lock/muzzle brake.
The one that is on my rifle now is the XS that I modified.

I just finished testing the Scout front sight and USGI rear aperture.
It is a great alternative. With 50+ year eyes with progressive lenses I was getting blurring with the smaller aperture opening.(I hate getting old...then I think about the alternative.ICONROLLEY)

Get some more rounds loaded up and enjoy your Socom16.

Glenn
Glenn, sounds like you and I are in the same boat regarding "old eyes". I probably will swap out sights for something like you did, But I will probably install a good red dot first---I have one on my AR and really like the "both eyes open" targeting----of course that has its limits is well.

I guess that's half the fun of these rifles, You just keep playing with them until you find what works for you----irons or optics; Aimpoint or Eotech; Nikon or LeopoldUSN3 Oh the decisions.......

P.S. I Like the idea of modifying the front sight--that looks great.

Reactions: geepee3
1 - 4 of 4 Posts