M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been using a GI walnut as an everday stock, and a really nice tiger striped birch when I wanted to "dress up". But, not wanting to mess up the walnut, and since I wanted to try using a Big Red, figgered I'd try my hand at doing a camo job, since Six is out of commission for a while (hopefully not long). Kids got me an airbrush for Christmas, and I'm still learning (LONG wys to go) with it. But, with a base coat of Krylon Camo Khaki and a "I don't have a clue but I've got an airbrush" attitude, here is the result.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks pretty darn good I would say. All my past attempts have just been with krylon and the odd stencil that I come up with. Well they have fooled several different kinds of game but they dont look that detailed. I was thinking about getting an airbrush and giving it a try however. That stock looks good to me.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I agree with the rest
Its a fine job with good colors and an interesting pattern
Now you have to give the camo pattern a name :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
That looks great. I just rec'd my $16 USGI fiberglass stock from Numrich and will be attempting that soon. I hope my results are as nice.

Dave

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Airedale said:
Biathalon,
The JOTC...that brings back memories. Many a sweaty day and night spent in and around Ft. Sherman.

Dave
Yep I lost a lot of body fluids there as well...

Taz that is an awesome camo scheme! Wanna do mine :D :mrgreen:
Shadow

·
Registered
503 Posts
WOW :arm34: I agree with M14 LOVER, great job. Do you seal the paint with some kind of clear coat :?:

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
Looks pretty good to me, especially for a first try! I was looking at one of them airbrush kits myself. To bad I'm not very artistic though :oops: . I'd like to be able to do flames & lightning paint jobs like some of the stocks I've seen around. Not real practical but way up there on the cool factor 8) . Keep up the good work & keep us posted.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't put a clear coat on top yet, and probably won't for two reasons. First, everything I've seen comes out w/ some sort of sheen, no matter what the can says. Right now, it is absolutely flat w/ no sheen at all. Second, when (when, not if) I scratch it, all I gotta do is go back and hit it with the same color, which I could do in a couple of minutes. taz

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if you count the times that I tried different colors and didn't like 'em and then stripped 'em over, A BUNCH. But, once I figgered out what colors I wanted, it didn't take a long time. I'd guess 20-25? If anybody knows of a good clear coat that is absolutely flat, let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Testors Model paints has a clear coat that is flat. I haven't tried it yet, but I intend too on what has become my first camo job - which came out a whole lot shinier than I expected/wanted.

My brother, who was into modeling, turned me onto the testors. It is just called "flat coat". I cannot attest to how tough of a clear coat it is, but he swears it will be as flat a finish as primer. It comes in a spray can. Good luck! I think you stock looks great, by the way. Much better than mine!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.