M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just acquired a very clean M1A that was made back in 1990 from a Gunbroker.com auction (supposedly built by Glenn Nelson in Columbus, Georgia? So says the lady @ Springfield Armory…). The serial number is 0575XX, and it's from the “Golden Era” of M1As. It’s happens to be a Super Match model, and being that, it came with a bedded oversized stock. It’s been a safe queen, and not been fired in who knows how many years. My problem is that I attempted to take out the trigger assembly, and it doesn’t want to budge. ??? I don’t want to force it out. Did they glass in the triggers on this era of rifle too? Thanks in advance. GI1

·
NSRA
2,579 Posts
Does the trigger guard fully rotate so that it sits around 90* to the stock? If so will it slide out or jam up at this point? Might be the trigger pin has worked out. Pull the bolt back and lock it back, look from the top down with a flash light and see if it is sitting out to the side against the wood.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Hi All,
I just acquired a very clean M1A that was made back in 1990 from a Gunbroker.com auction (supposedly built by Glenn Nelson in Columbus, Georgia? So says the lady @ Springfield Armory…). The serial number is 0575XX, and it's from the “Golden Era” of M1As. It’s happens to be a Super Match model, and being that, it came with a bedded oversized stock. It’s been a safe queen, and not been fired in who knows how many years. My problem is that I attempted to take out the trigger assembly, and it doesn’t want to budge. ??? I don’t want to force it out. Did they glass in the triggers on this era of rifle too? Thanks in advance. GI1
Well done! I was watching that Rifle on Gun Broker! Welcome aboard!

Reactions: Hammerdog

·
Registered
516 Posts
Make sure that the hammer is cocked. Not trying to insult you, but not sure about your experience level with these rifles. If the hammer is not cocked, it makes it very hard to open the trigger guard.

The trigger group may be bedded also, probably should be, so you may need to tap it out with a plastic drift. Mine is bedded and can take a little extra coaxing to get out sometimes. And the action will have to be tapped out of the stock with a plastic or brass drift.

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy it here, always nice to see new memebers.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
If the trigger has been in the rifle all these years and will not come out, why not leave it in. Sometimes the bedding will chip a bit or stick to the trigger body. You can take a dowel and from above, thru the open action catch an edge and lightly tap. Put a stripper clip in the slot before you tap so the bolt doesn't slam shut while you're working.

Before I'd do any of the above, I'd shoot it first.

Bruce

·
Registered
896 Posts
I agree with Bruce. I'd clean the bore, chamber and bolt face. Then make sure it's safe to fire and shoot it before disassembling. You don't want to disturb the bedding unnecessarily.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Trigger group is bedded. Swing the trigger guard all the way open and wiggle like heck as you pull. If that doesn't go, you might need to tap it out. Get a flat faced punch, rest it on the top of the mag latch and tap gently till it starts to come loose.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I'd shoot it a little to loosen it up, then strip it, thoroughly inspect, clean, and re-grease.

**** and put the safety on for best results pulling trigger group.

An authentic Nelson build is a prized catch.

·
Registered
212 Posts
To get the trigger guard off/open, use a secton of a GI cleaning rod, and insert it in the hole, and pry it open.

They can get pretty tight.
Once you get it open, you should be able to remove the trigger assembly, maybe snug, but it should come out.
I would not remove the rifle from the stock.
Remove any lube now, and reapply with new grease.
Q-tips come real handy for cleaning, all the channels.
Turn the rifle upside down to clean the bore, wipe down the Flashider, and the outside metal w/Hoppes 9, and you are good to go.

Out

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I agree with shooting it: may help to jar things just enough to give you what you need. All the SM trigger groups I've seen do come out but as noted they can be something to test your patience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts