M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m nuts, I understand collections grow, I didn't need another M1A, but..... a 1987 Super Match popped up for sale with a really nice “buy now” price. The seller seemed knowledgeable in the post and had several hundred good reviews. Only four pictures but it looked promising. I understand it could have been stripped of some key parts which makes me nervous. It could have happened before the seller even got it... I still popped on it.

So, is there very much significance to a 1987 SM that “left the factory as a Super Match” rifle and is it possible to be a Glen Nelson rifle? No pictures yet and it might be a week until I get my hands on her... Shoot, the seller might be on this forum....

Here’s the gunbroker auction number : 856339981

Cards on the table, I’ll keep her for awhile. Positive or negative comments welcome...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
It is my understanding that ALL SA Inc NM and SuperMatch SAIs built from the early 1980s (or before) until he retired in the early 2000s were built by Glen Nelson's shop in Georgia.

In other words, I don’t think SAI built any NM or Supermatch rifles internally are until the early 2000s, at least that is my understanding of this history (per Lee Emerson’s excellent book).

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Great rifle And price!

Reactions: russmerle

·
Registered
444 Posts
Based on the Supermatches I've seen, I suspect you'll be impressed with (1) how heavy it is, & (2) how accurate it is. I haven't personally seen Glenn Nelson bedding, but the post-Nelson SM I owned had the purtiest bedding job I'd ever seen.

(no offense intended to you bedding wizards out there)

·
Registered
14,428 Posts
As mentioned above, an SAI Match rifle from that time period would certainly have been built in Nelson's shop. It wasn't until about 1998-99 that SAI started to build some of the rifles in house. From the examples I have seen, some of those were built by armorers he had trained.

Nelson's work was anything but neat and clean. He built military grade weapons for use, not display. On his rifles, the bedding will look uneven, possibly even smeared on parts of the metal. The individual parts were chosen for fit, not finish. His rifles look nothing like the pristine, cookie-cutter match rifles that SAI produces today. However, I suspect both versions shoot the same.

A Super Match from 1987 will have a Heavy barrel and stock. Otherwise, they are the same as a National Match. The rear lug didn't appear on factory rifles until several years later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.