M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a very clean 1986 Loaded (as confirmed by SA) from what I have read these are the "golden yrs" of GI parts
here's the breakdown
Receiver: has AII underside meaning its slightly longer?
Bolt:77900186 TRW ZG so GI but it is also elec pen on bottom with a M ?
Hammer: 046008-5 SA ?
Trigger housing: 7267930 ?
Op Rod: 7267064 TRW so GI
Guide rod: grooved on both sides rectangle shape no marks ?
Barrel: is Geneseo marked near chamber and NM behind frt sight who made these for SA? rate of twist?
frt sight: marked 072 on right side with a thin blade
flashhider: looks to be cast
rear sight: marked 520 on aperture
gas piston housing: looks to be cast

Thanks for any help/input on this old school classic
al

·
Registered
439 Posts
Picked up a very clean 1986 Loaded (as confirmed by SA) from what I have read these are the "golden yrs" of GI parts
here's the breakdown
Receiver: has AII underside meaning its slightly longer?
Bolt:77900186 TRW ZG so GI but it is also elec pen on bottom with a M ?
Hammer: 046008-5 SA ?
Trigger housing: 7267930 ?
Op Rod: 7267064 TRW so GI
Guide rod: grooved on both sides rectangle shape no marks ?
Barrel: is Geneseo marked near chamber and NM behind frt sight who made these for SA? rate of twist?
frt sight: marked 072 on right side with a thin blade
flashhider: looks to be cast
rear sight: marked 520 on aperture
gas piston housing: looks to be cast

Thanks for any help/input on this old school classic
al
I need a five line. Good score.

Danny

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,072 Posts
M underside of bolt means it was magnetic particle inspected.

Trigger housing is commercial. Hammer is from an M1 Garand.

Spring guide early USGI.

Check barrel for markings under handguard. Post a picture of the gas cylinder.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input...also forgot on the butt plate assembly the piece that lifts up is steel and the inside piece along with the door seems to be aluminum...also the barrel is only marked Geneseo Ill that is visible when pulling the op rod back, along with NM on top near frt sight....also posted a pic of bottom of flashider that shows a cast line
pics link
thanks al

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kurt thanks...i also posted apic of hand guard...dark brown looks like fiberglass?
thanks again al

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hello, ???
The rear sight(if NM and hooded) was replaced by a previous owner. That early the rear sight was just the standard installed by SAI. IIRC

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks....I will get a pic up of rear sight...i dont think it is marked any other way besides the aperture.. the barrel is a reg contour so 1/12
Thanks again
al

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Gas cylinder USGI.
Kurt, The gas cylinder spindle valve doesn't look like a GI. Did one of the US GI manufactures use a domed head rather than the scalloped head on the spindle valve?

·
Registered
12,072 Posts
Kurt, The gas cylinder spindle valve doesn't look like a GI. Did one of the US GI manufactures use a domed head rather than the scalloped head on the spindle valve?
The one in this photo (showing an experimental combination tool) sure looks like a dome. Keep in mind that gas cylinders were packaged without the spindle valve, so anything is possible.

The scallops are there so that you could use a cartridge rim.

385-59.1..jpg

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have a 5 Line SAI M1A, 1980 mfg., that was mostly SAI parts. the gas cylinder spindle valve has a dome, round, head, much like an ordinary screw. I'm thinking this was a SAI part.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I added pics of rear sight....not a NM setup...but thinking just the aperture has been changed out?
thanks for all the input
al

·
Registered
33 Posts
Finally pulled my SAI NM #017xxx apart for a parts cartouche inspection after 25 years , 2nd owner , awesome shooter. Cast recalled SAI bolt, Wilson barrel, SAI op rod, cast gas tube, SA USGI trigger group, front sight USGI, rear not sure. Bedded stock. Discovered that just because you have a low number SAI rifle you might not have Mostly USGI parts. Definitely will swap and headspace a USGI bolt . Do NOT want to send it back to SAI for repair. I'm in CA.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My rifle was my first M1A. NM bedded stock ,bought over 25 years ago. It came with an ART 2 with USGI 2 screw mount and 1000 rds of LC68 and web gear , tools, ect. . All for 1200$ , so I don't feel too bad. And it is a tack driver. But do not be fooled by 5 line means all GI as Shooter said. Lesson learned. I think a bolt swap and headspace , hopefully all will be good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My rifle was my first M1A1 bought over 25 years ago. It came with an ART 2 with USGI 2 screw mount and 1000 rds of LC68 and web gear , tools, ect. . All for 1200$ , so I don't feel too bad. And it is a tack driver. But do not be fooled by 5 line means all GI as Shooter said. Lesson learned. I think a bolt swap and headspace , hopefully all will be good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts